• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Code reader for 92 XJ

marc davis

NAXJA Forum User
All

I have a 92 XJ, from a bit of Wiki reading it seems like I have a Chrysler MPI system. Will any of the current production code readers work with this system? I want access to more that just blinking codes that the on/off/on/off/on key switch provides. Is my only option to scrounge some obsolete and hideously expensive OEM reader off ebay? I fighting a problem with intermittent loss of spark on startup and bucking when accelerating. I want more information to help debug it.

Thanks
Marc

I had the same issues with my 92.
I replaced everything and still had the problem.
Turned out it was loose flex plate bolts.
Sounded wierd to me but once they were tightened it works great.
Hope that isn't the issue for you.
Good luck,
Stukboy

You have a 92, which is is OBDI and the "key-on, key-off" two digit code is all you're going to get.

Starting in 96, you can use a code reader or a scan tool to access the full PXXXX codes.

well there is a DRBII scan tool, or something like that that the factory service manual mentions. it interfaces with the PCM i believe the read voltages in and out.

if you are looking for a factory service manual you should search online
there is good information on greatlakesxj.com

Any scanner that supports OBDI and has a Chrysler adapter plug/cable should be able to work. The two garages that I use both have a Snap-On scanner with the right adapter, and they can monitor some rudimentary engine parameters (like coolant temp), as well as do things like reset the MAINT REQD light and so forth. Not a lot and no justification for the cost of a Snap-On scanner.

Actron sells an OBDI Chrysler adapter for some of their hand-held scanners (http://www.actron.com/product_detail.php?pid=16190) but I don't know anything more about it.

Thanks guys. I thought I read somewhere that the 92-96 Chrysler tool could do quite a bit like read the input from sensors and exerciser servos and what not. maybe I confusing it with the earlier Renix system.

Thanks
Marc

The Actron CP9190 will give you live engine data. Also the AutoXray AX6000, AX5000, or older EZ-Link tools with Chrysler OBD1 coverage. These are all fairly cheap in cost, may be able to find an older EZ-Link tool fairly cheap on eBay.

If you want more than engine coverage you can get an OTC Nemisys 3797M10 for just under $700 on line.

Then the price just climbs from there, Snap-On, OTC Genisys/Pegisys, Bosch, Launch etc... But these tool are about the same cost as most 1992 XJ's.

Back