• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Replacing AC condenser lines

ctnsupra1

NAXJA Forum User
While replacing the radiator I managed to snap the brittle lines that ran to the condenser (condenser was trashed at that point and replaced), does anyone know if you can replace the hard lines with rubber ones? I think the hard lines are about $40-50 each from NAPA and I'd rather not spend that if I could get away with some rubber hose at $2/ft.

Sure, you can use copper or steel, as long as you have a short section of rubber hose to accommodate engine movement and vibration.
Not sure how copper would hold up in an vehicle engine compartment--holds up fine in a marine environment. It would be a lot easier to form than steel.

What year is it? What engine?

Are you planning to "custom" make hoses? How to do plan to attach the ends?

Hit the junkyard or rockauto.com... what year? The line styles changed several times over the years, I am guessing you have a 95/96 though as those are some of the easiest lines to snap. The 94-down ones are pretty bad too.

It's a '95, 4.0L. The lines were so brittle I could break them in half with my thumb pressing the line down.

As far as custom hoses that's what I was trying to find out, I'm not sure how the end attachements would work.

As long as you use the right hose (remember, these systems operate in the hundreds of PSI range and have specific chemical compatibility requirements) I think you can get custom lines made, but good luck having it done for less than it will cost at NAPA.

Prices on rockauto look about the same as you quoted, maybe ten bucks less each.

Thanks kastein, totally forgot to look at RockAuto. Guess I'll pony up the $80 and get the lines from them.

Thanks kastein, totally forgot to look at RockAuto. Guess I'll pony up the $80 and get the lines from them.

I think that's your best route. By the time you get the barrier hose, fittings and such, you'll likely come close to the $ anyway.

You can check out www.jeepair.com and www.ackits.com for price comparisons.

I am looking for a replacement line that connects the condenser to the drier. Rockauto doesn't offer one and the line on Jeep Air looks different than the line I removed. Does anyone know where I can find a replacement besides the JY? Its a 91 4.0.

I had to uninstall mine with a grinder so I think a junkyard line will be toast as well.

Sorry to dredge up this old thread but I though it would be better than starting a new one since my questions is similar.

Back