• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tool//wrench/Socket organizers

TRCM

NAXJA Forum User
Ok, I'm moving to a bigger toolbox, and my old one will get delegated for parts storage for the most part.

What do you use for socket & wrench organization.....looking for recommendations, as I am tired of looking for what I need for 5 minutes.

The volume of my tools outgrew my old organizers several years ago.....so I am trying to eliminate the mess.

I want something that has a specific spot for each size, and is easy to remove & replace the tool, as well as easily identified as to the tool size.

Lemme hear what ya use..............

I love wrench rolls. A space for each wrench, easy to see if someone is missing, and it provides a clean space to set things. Get one for standard and another for metric.

Maybe one day I will be willing to afford one of these ones: http://adventuretoolcompany.com/product/shoproll-tool-roll

For the time being I am using this sort: https://www.amazon.com/Bucket-Boss-...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=T54G738ZQ3Z39YK6M5KW

Sockets are another matter...

For years I have been using the cheap metal socket boxes (the sort you would get at a hardware store, usually with both standard and metric sockets in it, all of the contents absolute junk) with socket rails cut down to fit inside. With the sockets clipped on the rails it is again clear whether or not any of the sockets are missing. Ratchets, extensions, universals etc. just fit in as best possible. This fits a rail of 3/8" standard, a rail of 3/8" metric and a rail of 1/4" combined standard/metric, a 1/4" ratchet, a 3/8" ratchet, a 1/4" "screwdriver", a pair of universals, enough extensions to deal with the CPS and a handful of other bits that I would have to open up the box in order to recall.

The problem with this system is that it won't fit larger sockets (not enough room, and box wouldn't close on them anyways), and it doesn't provide a dedicated home for anything but the sockets themselves.

There is a new product called a Socket Roll. We did a group buy in the SoCal chapter. It at least provides dedicated homes for ratchets and homes for a selection of sizes of larger sockets, but even it doesn't take care of everything. The 30 mm socket for the T-case fill plug and the 36 mm for the D30 axle nuts still have to reside in the tool bag, and checking to see if all the sockets are back in their homes requires holding the roll at an angle and looking into the rows of elastic pockets. And the elastic pockets are pretty stiff too. You need to use an extension just to get the sockets in and out of their pockets. Time will tell how those behave long term. I am not yet at the point of giving up on my cheap metal box of sockets on rails.

The nice thing about the wrench rolls and the cheap metal box is that they will all fit underneath one of the front seats. The Socket Roll is too big for that and has to be stowed in the rear cargo area. That fancy ATC shop roll would pose the same challenge.

Pick your compromises.

I've tried a bunch of different organizers and the lock-a-socket rack is by far my favorite. They are pricy at around $50.00 but worth it. They're pretty heavy duty, it will hold impact sockets (retention hole) even when its up-side down, the chrome sockets with the retention dimple stay on pretty well but can be puled off if you try. I like the fact that I can grab the rack and carry complete sets of deep & shallow 1/2", 3/8, & 1/4" sockets as well as wherever I need to. I have one set up for SAE and another for metric.

38290672046_1e9c1c7908_z.jpg
[/url]Untitled by David Nichols, on Flickr[/IMG]

https://www.amazon.com/Mechanics-Time-Saver-MTSLASTRAY-Socket/dp/B007QV3WGK/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1510447396&sr=8-4&keywords=lock-a-socket+tray&dpID=41XTq5IIb1L&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

I use wrench rolls for mine. I have 2 - metric and SAE. For my sockets I have a small tackle box from Wal-Mart. It’s about 5 x 6 x 1.5 and I keep all my 1/2” sockets #6-19 in it.

This is what I use in my "main" box for the regular length sockets:

https://www.harborfreight.com/6-piece-socket-drawer-organizers-99717.html

This is what I use in my additional box for deep well sockets:

https://www.harborfreight.com/3-pc-sae-socket-trayorganizer-68100.html

They're cheap, and work really well.

For my trail bags I've got wrench rolls.

However, my wrenches are just kind of tossed in currently. I have an organizer but don't use it like I should, mainly due to room.

This is what I have, but don't really use:

https://www.harborfreight.com/76-piece-wrench-organizer-46884.html

Once I move to a two lower box bench setup, everything will be muuuuuch cleaner.

As long as I'm on runs with you guys I don't have to carry tools. It saves on space and weight. I guess I'm just smarter than average,

Nothing like tempting fate for this weekend...

:gag:

There is a new product called a Socket Roll. We did a group buy in the SoCal chapter. It at least provides dedicated homes for ratchets and homes for a selection of sizes of larger sockets, but even it doesn't take care of everything. The 30 mm socket for the T-case fill plug and the 36 mm for the D30 axle nuts still have to reside in the tool bag, and checking to see if all the sockets are back in their homes requires holding the roll at an angle and looking into the rows of elastic pockets. And the elastic pockets are pretty stiff too. You need to use an extension just to get the sockets in and out of their pockets. Time will tell how those behave long term. I am not yet at the point of giving up on my cheap metal box of sockets on rails.

Hey All. I would like to offer some insight to Socket Roll if I may. Anak does bring up a few good points with the unavailable space for the larger size sockets in this current version and the stiffness of the elastic. There is a rhyme to every reason though and so...

The lack of the larger sockets are simply due to demand and differences. Socket Roll is designed to carry the abundance of sockets you might need on the trail or on the job and for the larger types because they will vary person to person and job to job we thought to leave that decision to the customer. After all you will have a bag for your hammers and such as well.

The tightness of the elastic is no joke, agreed, but that is because we use military spec woven elastic that is designed for the harsh environment. Getting them in the first time is tough and the recommendation to use an extension is a great one. We recommend a 2-3 week break in period after which you should be able to get them in and out without the use of an extension. The other great thing about the elastic is that it won’t wear out quickly like other cheap imitations. This stuff is there for the long haul.

A quick tip to check for your empty sockets is simply to run your fingers across the elastic row and see which is missing. No need to turn it to the side and examine. Just go by touch. Much faster 😊

As far as fitting it under a seat, we didn’t have any issues in the buggies we sponsor or some other off road vehicles, but I guess that could be due to modifications or vehicle design. They are all different in one way or another. Hopefully it will fit under yours.

When it’s all said and done though, each person will use what fits them best and we are here as one of those options. We consider ourselves “the ULTIMATE in portable socket storage” because no other option holds the amount that we do in such a small compact design (20”x3.5” rolled up and loaded), but to each their own and we respect that.

Hope this message was informative and thank you Anak for bringing up a few good points and also for plugging Socket Roll.

Check out the website for additional info:
www.socketroll.com

Be safe on the trails!

For wrenches, a friend of mine used rivets in his wrench drawers. As long as you put them away in the correct spot, easy to locate.

For sockets, I use the HF SAE/metric plastic organizers (inexpensive). Hansen, lisle, etc also make them
Some of the socket sets I have purchased came with their own rails, so they have stayed that way.
Another friend of mine, has a sheet of plywood, and wood pegs for sockets. All measured out and evenly spaced. Doesn't look great, IMO, but it works.

Bought my first multi-socket set over 25 years ago. It came in a plastic blow mold case that is well organized and compact. It has held up well getting frequent use and no lost tools. My only complaint is the latches broke off. Nothing a velcro strap around the handle couldn't fix.

I love the wrench rolls. Made my own when I worked in the automotive seat factory. Perks of having leather and industrial sewing machines around.

Here is what I carry. I do some very hard trails in remote areas and need to get home. I carry one of every sensor, tons of replacement parts, and even a battery stick welding kit, small torch, and alumaweld rod.

Tools-L.jpg

I am personally a big fan of the Ernst Manufacturing systems, my roll-away box has a bunch of their stuff.

http://www.ernstmfg.com/Socket-Organizers.aspx

twistlockrails_1_4.jpg

They also do wrench organizers as well.

http://www.ernstmfg.com/Wrench-Organizers.aspx

I use a similar socket holder; Craftsman and an off brand that is compatible / interchangeable. Since I can't afford a separate set of tools to keep in the Jeep I can just grab and go.
I keep my wrenches laying flat in the drawer. When I get ready to hit the trail I throw them on a couple snap ring wrench holders I picked up at HF.

Back