• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Brake fluid Lever lock?

KarmirXJ

NAXJA Forum User
As anybody used this? I saw a guy at the local 4x4 using this but didnt have a chance to stop and ask. I was thinking of doing this instead of messing around and buying knew E-brake lines and Ebrake hardware for my rear ZJ discs. what you guys think?

https://www.netmart.com/wreckerbuilder/intheditch/product/winches.html

If I do go with my ZJ E-brake anybody know how I can extend the Ebrake lines?

BTW: scroll down have way on the link its under lever lock.

First -- you're thinking with your wallet -- ~$200? is silly! Don't mean to offend but hydraulic locks are NOT that pricey (granted it's got a low pressure indicator, but you can hydraulic lock for ~$25 from damn near anywhere)

For my part - I'd recommend having your e-brake cables made - there's many places that can do it - probably one local to you -- tell em your rear needs you front needs and the jacket length (allow for flex and add'l lift or whatever) -- did that for an 8.8 swap - took about an hour and cost like $75 or so for the pair (Long, adjustible ends, fit and work great!).

The reasoning behind my retaining the OEM e-brake set up on the 8.8 is that it uses a shoe/disc set-up -- the shoes inside the rotor are used for the e-brake while the disc is used for the service brake -- The systems are divorced so I can still have a "brake" in the rear if I rip a brake line... most importantly, the rear rotors are not well equipped to dissapate heat - after driving and heating-up those discs, I would NOT wanna leave the pads gripping onto the surface of the rotor -- the resulting hot-areas would eventually manifest as warping in the lighter weight rear discs.

Just my thougths...

Exactly why they say NOT to use one of those hydraulic micro locks for an emergency set up. The emergency/parking brake is a separate system for a reason. To provide in case the hydraulics fail.

it's easy to adapt a YJ passenger side brake cable to the ZJ rear disc setup. and the cables will be PLENTY long enough. plus the ZJ e-brake works pretty decently when adjusted properly. several of the articles that detail how to fit ZJ discs on an XJ axle detail how you can hook up cables to the ZJ e-brake.

A guy up here has 3 line locks. If you are not familiar with a line lock, you step on the brake, engage it electronically, then let your foot off the pedal and it keeps the pressure on the brake side of the lock. He is using one for the front, and two for the rear, one per side. He also uses an ARB in the rear, so he can lock the left or right tire for tight turns with the ARB unlocked. Would be easy to add one of these to the front and/or the rear, 2 for the rear would require more work, and could only be used with a selectable locker.

I'd love to do a setup like this someday.

Willis, those are called cutting brakes. Tractors use them customarily, you can turn a tractor on a tire.

They are still, IMHO, not a substitute for a working emergency brake.

ChiXJeff

ChiXJeff said:
Willis, those are called cutting brakes. Tractors use them customarily, you can turn a tractor on a tire.

They are still, IMHO, not a substitute for a working emergency brake.

ChiXJeff

Nope, line lock, like in drag racing. Used for staging.

Look here!

Willis said:
Nope, line lock, like in drag racing. Used for staging.

Look here!

The hardware is called a line lock. When a pair are connected to each control brakes on each end of an axle, the assembly is callled cutting brakes.

ChiXJeff said:
The hardware is called a line lock. When a pair are connected to each control brakes on each end of an axle, the assembly is called cutting brakes.

Correct.

Also correct that a line lock should not be used as a parking brake.

Back