• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Door Hinge Pins?

jfiscus

NAXJA Forum User
The 85 XJ I recently purchased has a little danage to the rear door hinge area. Under closer inspection I noticed that the bottom hinge pin is broke and the top is possibly cracked.

I would like to know where I can get replacement pins and how I should remove the old (broke) pins.

It may depend on the pins. My 87 had roll pins, and if this is the case, just punch them out and go down to the nearest tractor store and get 1/4 inch roll pins and hammer them in. The standard lengths are either a little too short or a little too long. I don't remember the lengths, but you can measure the depth of the hinge. Get the longer ones.

IF you have solid pins, you may still be able to replace them with roll pins, but I'm not sure. Jeep supposedly carries a replacement kit for these which includes new bushings.

I've been told that the early XJs have real door pins, I haven't looked into this yet, and need to as the doors on ours are starting to show some real pin wear.

But to replace the pins, just take the pin (and the bushing if it has one) down to the local hardware store. Most of the Ace and True Valu stores have them sitting on top of their bolt selection, you just have to find the right diameter and length.

This shouldn't be too tough of a job with a 4 dr as the doors are much lighter, but you still may want an extra hand around to help you hold the door and not garf (that's a technical term) up your finish if you're concerned about paint/sheet metal.

Dad and I always used white lithium grease on the bushings and pins to help keep them from squeaking or wearing out prematurely.

Digging this one out of the archives to keep them complete.

Had the lower pin on the driver's door bust on me this week. Took the door off and got the hinge out, but the pin was stuck in each of the pieces. Was able to drive it out of the door side of the hinge, but the body side was really stuck.

Joel came over and gave me a hand, eventually we ended up heating it til the hinge was bright red and driving a 1/4" roll pin driver through the pin. We drove the upper hinge pin out as a model and hit Lowe's for some replacement pins. The 1/4" pins were smaller, the 5/16" pins were bigger. The lower had been stretched out so we finished reaming that out to 5/16" and put the old pin back in the top.

Bottom lines :

'84s use roll pins like all the others, but have rubber plugs in them to make them look funny if you're not paying attention

1/4"x2" pins are longer than 5/16" x 2" pins (go figure)

The pin is probably a 7mm pin rather than a 5/16" or 1/4", which is probably why people have problems with the 1/4" pins falling out.

Anyway hope this pain helps someone else as those pins are a pain in the rear.

Bill

wish said:
'84s use roll pins like all the others, but have rubber plugs in them to make them look funny if you're not paying attention
I seem to recall my 89 was that way as well. When did the hinge pin change? Anyone?

Back