• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Brake Booster Options w/out flaring new brake lines???

ocalajeeper

NAXJA Forum User
I have an 88 XJ. I'm looking to upgrade the booster to a dual diaphram booster without having to flare new lines. Are there any options?

Can I use a 95 Booster with an 88 MC or do the bolt holes and pushrod on MC not match up? Any suggestions? Thanks.

I don't think you can avoid new lines, but really, it isn't rocket science. Go buy an appropriate flaring tool and bender, they're cheap, and practice a couple times on your scrap. I had never done it before when I did the booster swap on my 91, and it came out fine. The 95-96 XJ Booster/master will be a bolt in to your 88, aside from the new lines.:eeks1:

Don't think you can use the '88MC on the '95 booster. The dual diaphragm boosters require the MC to be air tight where they bolt on. The '88 wasn't designed to seal at the booster.

xjbubba said:
Don't think you can use the '88MC on the '95 booster. The dual diaphragm boosters require the MC to be air tight where they bolt on. The '88 wasn't designed to seal at the booster.

Totally correct, you need both the 95/96 booster and master combination.

Go to a shop that makes brake hard lines, tell them the length you want, fittings you want, and end flares you want.

Bend them yourself into the shape you need.

Done.

I did that to put a WJ master and booster into my '94.

I didnt need to flare any hardline when i did my booster/master swap. I bought 1' lines preflared and the length worked well after shaping.

Back