• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1996 xj brake problems.... master cylnder or brake booster

dragon0310

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 96 xj 4.0

I have replaced everything except the master cylinder and the brake power boost. If i pump the brakes with the car off it builds up complete pressure within 3 or 4 pumps, if i keep pressure on the pedal and turn the car on it drops staright to the floor. then it never buils up complete pressure again. There is fluid leaking form the area of the master cylnder, power boost area.. but i dont know wich one needs to be replaced or if bolth do... i appreciate all the help i can get.... Thank you

You will not see fluid leaking from a bad power booster. Start with a new Master Cylinder. Replacing the Booster is a pain and they are a little pricy for what they are.

Good Luck !

Master cylinder for sure, but be prepared for the possibility fluid in the booster will damage it as well. I'd try just the MC first, but don't be surprised if the booster dies too.

Just as a general rule, a bad booster will cause a hard brake pedal and ineffective braking, but if the pedal sinks it's the master cylinder.

Be aware that a 95-96 Booster and master cylinder are the only ones that work on a 96. It is sought after due to being an upgrade for 87-94 XJ's with the single diaphram style booster.

I have a 90 XJ with the abs pump. Will the conversion from the WJ that you posted before work on this Jeep? I have no booster at all.

Back