• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

searched for this...a while back - No luck

jeepcherokee95

NAXJA Forum User
I got no diffinative answers in my search for the answer to my question so thought I would try here in hopes someone could answer or lead me to a site where I could find the answer:

I have a 95 XJ, 2-3" lift, 31x10.50's, AW4 tranny and it is a great vehicle but I have this one little hitch...it won't downshift into first or low when I come up to a light and stop, I have to let it roll just a bit and voila! into low she goes.

I have had the tranny pan off and checked by professionals and they say there was no shavings worth talking about in the pan and it seems to work perfectly otherwise. I would just like to try and get this fixed because the wife never remembers to let it roll just a bit and I am afraid she will burn up the tranny sitting in the wrong gear at the lights. Once you start to take off it will shift into low but sort of bangs it in there because it's under load.

My original opinion was that the vacuum was off (due to speedo gears) for the tranny to call for it to shift into low but after checking my mileage with the wifes ZJ I seem to be close to the correct MPH! As I said this is not a problem for me (but I don't drive it much) and it is only driven for 14 days out of the month. We fill up both at the beginning of the month and she goes all month on 2 tanks of gas; I drive a company service van...

Any and all opinions, questions, links, or whatever will be appreciated, graded, returned or filed in the appropriate drawer......

Thanks in advance.

JC95.

I can't think of much to help you with the general problem except to say that vacuum is unlikely, since the AW4 has no vacuum connections. I would presume that any tranny professionals have checked the throttle cable adjustment, but if not I would definitely do that. It may not help, but it's a simple adjustment so worth a try. On the cable sheath at the throttle body is a rather large button that presses in. Its cross section is a circle with a flat on one side. Press the button and retract the sheath as far as it will go, then manually open the throttle to full position. This will pull the sheath out to the correct position. That's it.

Back