• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Battery opinions

I have a 2014 Interstate sitting in the garage right now that my charger says won't take a full charge. It is out of The Bride's daily driver Impala SS. I had to go rescue her at work last Thursday when her car wouldn't start.

I think it is a November 2014 battery. Figure 3 years on what is supposed to be a 5 year battery. I am not pleased.

For the moment she is driving with the 2012 Interstate out of the Suburban. That battery would have a legitimate excuse if it kicked the bucket. From what I am seeing in this thread and elsewhere I think I am going to be switching to Deka AGM batteries.

Most all the other brands are made by Johnson Controls (including Interstate) which are garbage.

This is when Interstate sold to Walmart and Interstate was a good battery, they stopped in 2009. No surprise, I have seen the older interstates from this era go 10 years.

I just bought a costco interstate and while i didnt start the jeep for a month it died and wouldnt take a charge. Luckily costco has an excellent warranty and I got a new one no questions asked, I was surprised it died so bad it couldnt be charged

I'll just add that I currently have 2 Red top's and 2 Blue top's and they have been averaging about 7yrs per!

I was just debating this, since a couple of days ago my Jeep was dead in a Walmart parking lot. I was about to pull the trigger on a Die Hard AGM(still available in group 34 sizes) but then remembered how bad Sears is doing and amount of Sears where we go wheeling vs Advance.

One thing that surprised me is that the Autocraft Platinum AGM has less CCA(740) than most group 34 AGMs and less than the same size Autocraft Gold(800 CCA) lead acid battery.

Any reason why the Platinum would be a bad choice for a DD? My 98 XJ is mostly stock plus a winch and fog lights. Wasn't sure if I was just being a bit paranoid of the numbers there.

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

Deka. Hands down. I have sold maybe 100 of them in the past 3 years and have never needed to warranty one. There that good.

I run a very high end European repair shop. This is the ONLY battery I would recommend. I did tons of research after I started looking for another supplier when Interstate got bought by Jonson Controls. Varta is another good brand but you cant get them here in the states.

Most all the other brands are made by Johnson Controls (including Interstate) which are garbage.

This is when Interstate sold to Walmart and Interstate was a good battery, they stopped in 2009. No surprise, I have seen the older interstates from this era go 10 years.
I want to put a new battery into my 95 xj 2.5 TurboD, which Varta do you recommend?

They are made by East Penn, same as Deka and most other AGM batteries.
The AutoCraft Platinum AGM are Deka (can tell by the shape)

Plus they are warranty through Advance Auto anywhere in the country, which is important
Consider looking into. A 34/78 (dual post).
For some reason sme places sell them slight cheap than 34's
As far as CCA, I believe that oe heep batts are only in the 500-600 range.
I was just debating this, since a couple of days ago my Jeep was dead in a Walmart parking lot. I was about to pull the trigger on a Die Hard AGM(still available in group 34 sizes) but then remembered how bad Sears is doing and amount of Sears where we go wheeling vs Advance.

One thing that surprised me is that the Autocraft Platinum AGM has less CCA(740) than most group 34 AGMs and less than the same size Autocraft Gold(800 CCA) lead acid battery.

Any reason why the Platinum would be a bad choice for a DD? My 98 XJ is mostly stock plus a winch and fog lights. Wasn't sure if I was just being a bit paranoid of the numbers there.

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

I've had good luck with the car quest house brand. Killed multiple times to dead. We're talking like 2-3 volts. After a jump and some 2 footing my 10 min drive home it was weak for a few days, but returned to good power. Had it for 6 years in other jeeps seeing the hot summers and the cold winters. Never let me down when it wasn't my fault. Went out at -12 to start her up. Had 10-40 oil in it and a stroker motor. I bit slow but did it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'll second this recommendation. I have one in my CR-V that's going on 6 years. Left the dome lights on two nights in a row and it still cranked right up. The Jeep needs a new battery and this is the one I'm getting.

FYI, since AAP bought out CQ, their "standard" batteries have changed suppliers. All of them used to be made by East Penn, not all are meow.
So, consider spending the extra $ on their AGM batt.

I'll second this recommendation. I have one in my CR-V that's going on 6 years. Left the dome lights on two nights in a row and it still cranked right up. The Jeep needs a new battery and this is the one I'm getting.

Ran a Napa Premium Gold battery in my '96 for 2 1/2 years with no issues. 580 CCA's, 715 CA's. Worked great for jump-starting dead vehicles, no slow cranking on cold mornings, even when I visited family in Nebraska last year for Christmas. 4-gauge battery cables probably helped too though.

I'm about to buy an Advance Auto Parts AGM battery.
Anyone know if they're still made by East Penn and are a Deka Clone?
Thanks.

im running the autozone platinum agm in my 88. seems to be the beast so far. i cant remember if its the 34 or 78 size battery but its not the one autozone lists for the year. but it think its the correct size as sit fits the battery tray like a glove.

im running the autozone platinum agm in my 88. seems to be the beast so far. i cant remember if its the 34 or 78 size battery but its not the one autozone lists for the year. but it think its the correct size as sit fits the battery tray like a glove.

group 34

I'm about to buy an Advance Auto Parts AGM battery.
Anyone know if they're still made by East Penn and are a Deka Clone?
Thanks.

Check the manufacturered date tag on end of battery to see what year it was made

Sharing this only because it's different/unique. A lot going on in the pic, kinda messy and the charger is hooked up

3 lithium shorai motorcycle batteries. All 3 together weigh just under 10 lbs. over 20 lbs lighter than stock.

This is not a very cheap option though :roll:

Sharing this only because it's different/unique. A lot going on in the pic, kinda messy and the charger is hooked up

3 lithium shorai motorcycle batteries. All 3 together weigh just under 10 lbs. over 20 lbs lighter than stock.

This is not a very cheap option though :roll:

I notice all 3 are connected in parallel so I assume they are 12 volts.

Question? What is the total amperage and physical size/measurement.

Check the manufacturered date tag on end of battery to see what year it was made
The tag says "10/17".

The counter person told me their batteries are now made by Johnson Controls, including the Platinum AGM.

The AGM I bought looks like a Deka though. It's grey with a black top, and has an indented case that widens toward the top. There's no listing anywhere on the battery as to who manufactured it or where....?

I've seen some of those agm batterys sitting on the shelf for well over a year or more well sell a lot of batterys where I work but not many agm we have deka now but in past years we sold Johnson controls then exide now deka

Back