• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

If you've got a D44 and manual transmission

If you've got a D44 rear in an XJ with a manual (Peugeot or AX-15), could you measure the length of your rear driveshaft for me? I'm about to swap a D44 into my XJ (4.0/AX-15/NP231/D35) and need to know how long my new driveshaft will need to be. Thanks in advance.

You may not need a new one. I did this same swap in my '92 4.0 ax15 np231. I replaced my 35 for the 44. The stock drive shaft was a perfect fit. It was also fine when I added a 4.5" RE lift to it although I did eventually add a TJ (I think its a TJ) slip yoke to it. They are slightly longer and they allow for more angle on the drive shaft. I would go measure mine but I have since added a sye kit and a custom shaft. Hope this helps.

Mambeu said:
If you've got a D44 rear in an XJ with a manual (Peugeot or AX-15), could you measure the length of your rear driveshaft for me? I'm about to swap a D44 into my XJ (4.0/AX-15/NP231/D35) and need to know how long my new driveshaft will need to be. Thanks in advance.
seemin you have a 2" lift already you dont need a new drive shaft, when i ditched my 35 for a 44 i kept my stock drive shaft and was fine with 2" of lift

Yep, I am sitting at almost 6" and the stock DS works fine.

The pinion is longer on the D44, so chances are, with lift, it will fit better than before!

Welcome to the Dana44 club

Back