• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Windsheild frame rust repair

bzdel2441

NAXJA Forum User
I am wondering what the best way to get off all the gooey black rubby crap arround the wiendsheid frame so I can check for rust and repair as needed. I am doing a full restore an an MJ....

Now will this just strip the black gooey stuff or will this also runi my paint?? In short can this stuff touch my paint job?? Not that it matters as it will be painted soon...

MEK works better on the butyl rubber than the silicone. You can get it in any paint store. Start off with a flat blade screwdriver or box knife and remove the bulk of the sealant. I then use a wire wheel on a drill to get most of the rest. I then resort to a sandblaster. Once that is done, use a rust stabilizing primer and paint.

bzdel2441 said:
Now will this just strip the black gooey stuff or will this also runi my paint?? In short can this stuff touch my paint job?? Not that it matters as it will be painted soon...
It will desolve the paint also.

Back