• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

98 XJ w/ Up Country 3" total lift

killnine

NAXJA Forum User
Hi all. I am a new owner of a 98 XJ that has the Up Country package installed. The rear springs have not noticably started sagging yet. I would like to lift her to a total of around 3". I know the current coils and springs should have given it a 1" lift already. I am trying to understand some of my options, and their relationship to necessary shock travel and compression. I am going to be putting in a spacer on the front coils for the additional 2" of lift in the front, and either 2" lift shackles or a whole new 3" lift spring pack for the rear. Would the two options for the rear have different shock requirements? Could anyone recommend Gabriel or Monroe shock numbers for these options? My confusion mainly lies in the use of spacers and shackles with the original 1" of lift, and what shocks might work with this. I am piecing this together on the cheap, so I would prefer a Gabriel shock, but their numbers are all listed by make and model year. I would not be adverse to spending a little more on Sensa-a-tracs if I have to to get proper shocks. Thanks

Alex

As far as shocks, I was trying to do the same thing you are with the monroes, etc.. Finally I jsut went down to the local 4wheelparts store and bought 4 Procomp es3000 shocks. Many people say they are procrap, but I have had them on for over 2k miles with no issues at all. At $38 a shock they are not bad.

If you do any of your options in front or rear it would be a good idea to get new shocks. You will need shocks that are about 2-3" longer than your current ones. Same shocks no matter which option you choose in the rear.

call 4 Wheel Parts and negotiate. Was quite easy. I just called them and said if they'd give me all 4 with the boots for $100 I'd buy them right now. Whipped out the credit card and ordered them over the phone. Doing the same thing, I got a $200 discount on my lift kit from them as well.

Back