• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

258 rear main bearing cap bolts

gtpolkus

NAXJA Forum User
Hi guys

I'm changing the rear main seal on my newly aquired CJ and was wondering if anybody has the torque specs for the rear main bearing cap bolts. My XJ haynes manual says 80 ft-lbs for the 4.0, but I was wondering if it is any different for the 258. This should be about the only thing I have to torque when replacing the rear main seal (besides the oil pan bolts), Right?

Any information would be appreciated.

-Greg

Sorry about that, I'll get it in the right spot next time

I figured it would be about the same considering the amount of similarity between the two engines. Anybody else have an input?

I believe 80 pound-feet is correct for the 258 main caps (I've been assembling torque specs for a website update, and that number wants to come up...)

Oil sump pan bolts get torqued to 84 pound-inches/7 pound-feet for the 1/4", and 132 pound-inches/11 pound-feet for the 5/16"

If you give me some time, I should be able to confirm that - but 80 pound-feet does sound correct...

5-90

Back