• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Window Regulators

HB86XJ

NAXJA Forum User
Hi All,

Well I just found out that my drivers side window regulator does not work correctly, basically AFU!!. So now where to get a new one. Are my only options the bone yard or the stealership?? Thanks for your help.

HB86XJ

HB,

When I had my driver's door regulartor replaced I went with a new one from the dealer. I had the XJ in for other work and threw that on the repair order. If it was any other window I would consider a used one BUT in the post 9/11 world I find myself cranking down the window every time I go to work so why put in half worn out stuff?

I have done everything but change out the regulator. In the past few months I installed all new weather stripping for the door's windows. Any manual will show you how to remove the interior door trim, you know remove the door handle, window crank handle and the lock handle.

I found on my XJ that it is much easier if you turn the door panel 90 degrees and work the latch handle out of the trim vs removing the rods. I went through hell getting those reattached.

Once you do that then you have to pull out the triangle window assy then you will be prepared to remove the regulator. There is is a nut you need to remove so the movable window can be lifted out of the door. I think you have to drill out the factory rivits and the new regulator is installed with bolts.

While you have the door torn down this far you may want to install new seals for the window glass. You will get a "L" shaped piece for the rear track and the top, and then another piece for the triangle window. I found out Chrysler does not sell the triangle window seal by itself, you have to buy the $240 triangle window assy to get a new seal.

If you replace the L seal you should start in the corner and work both legs.

Be careful reinstalling the triangle window, I messed mine up and ended up having to buy a new one. That why I know how much it costs.

If you have any more questions just ask. Also you may find the dealer may be cheaper than the bone yard for this part. I am suprised on some things how competitive the dealer prices are.

Martin

its an extremely easy job. just follow your manual and use 1/4x20 1/2 inch bolts instead of the rivets

Both of my front ones are about shot as well, I'm having a local glass outfit fix them for now. But... I am seriously thinking about getting the power window conversion kit that 4wd hardware sells. Anyone using these and were they hard to install?
Mike B.

Back