• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

bored out throttle body

AZGOLDXJ

NAXJA Forum User
I'm trying to decide whether to go with the 62mm. or the 60mm. bored out TB, some vendors say that the 62mm does not show any gains over the 60mm and that i would need a stroker to benifit from the 62. Are the torque gains the same as boreing out to 60mm. My XJ is a 2000 with 2.5" cat back pipe, MagnaFlow straight through muffler, 62mm.TB spacer,K&N cartridge filter.
Thanks for any info,Brian.

try posting this on MOD TECH forum.....im sure you'll get more responses..
also, do a search on there for info

Which company were you going to use? I’ve looked at Rock-It, XJ Armor, Rubicon Express, Hesco and Accurate Power. I think that XJ Armor has the best deal going for the money. They do 60 mm and 62 mm for reasonable prices and they look stock from the outside – important if you live in an IM state like me. I’m not sure if the 62 mm is an improvement over the 60 mm, but I figure it can’t hurt. I’ve never heard of anyone complaining that their intake flowed TOO well. I haven’t bought a new TB yet, but tax return time is coming soon :laugh3:

A guy on JU did mine... at the time it was much cheaper than anyone else.. it was like $120 to bore it to 62 mm and a $70 core charge. If you are intrested I will find his info.

-Chris

check out turbocity.com they have some xj throttle bodies for $200.00 i'm not sure what size there bored out to, but i no there not stock.

xjohnnyc said:
I got my TB from www.jeepersandcreepers.com

The net cost is $110.
throttlebody3.jpg

That one looks good, is that 62mm straight through with a new valve or did they just bore out the bottom half?

kreature said:
throttlebody3.jpg

That one looks good, is that 62mm straight through with a new valve or did they just bore out the bottom half?
I believe it's just the bottom tapered part...same valve.

you can cut the top half of the shaft off and knife edge the leading edge of the plate for even better flow :roll:

Heres my vote http://go.jeep-xj.info/HowtoTBboring.htm ; net cost $15-20/1 hour of your time and you will feel a little improvement IMHO. And if you don't think it works well enough send it out and have it bored bigger with a new plate installed for more money, but I doubt you will. Good luck.

Here's the one that I can recommend (62mm) for $150

http://www.thefastman.com/Throttlebodies40.asp

This is the second bored throttle body I have installed from this guy. On the XJ I installed it shortly after installing a K&N FIPK. The combination works great.

Aside from the perceived performance gain, I notice that I'm using 5th gear more and 3rd gear a lot less than before. My mpg has also jumped from a 14.5-16mpg to 16.5-17mpg.

Mark.

markpr said:
Here's the one that I can recommend (62mm) for $150

http://www.thefastman.com/Throttlebodies40.asp

This is the second bored throttle body I have installed from this guy. On the XJ I installed it shortly after installing a K&N FIPK. The combination works great.

Aside from the perceived performance gain, I notice that I'm using 5th gear more and 3rd gear a lot less than before. My mpg has also jumped from a 14.5-16mpg to 16.5-17mpg.

Mark.

I agree 100%, Fastman's TB's are very good quality and great price(s) to boot. Not to knock Jeepers&Creepers, if you were to compare the two the quality difference is significant (with a big nod to the Fastman). I had the Jeepers&Creepers initially and went with Fastman after I saw the quality work he has done. :thumbup:

Will an HO butterfly fit onto a Non-HO shaft? I need to get a TB bored, but I notice that nobody seems to offer this service for a Non-HO. I could do it myself if I knew that I had a replacement butterfly that would fit my new bore diameter (60mm).

CRASH

Back