• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

'89 Rear main bearing seal issue

Brandon77

Member# 3846
NAXJA Member
Ok so i have been doing some work on my 89 XJ. I have an issue with the rear main seal on the engine. For an '89 should i have the single or double two piece seal? I ordered both and they both look exactly the same. The one i took out is flat on both sides. There is no v shape lip on one side... but the new ones do. Does anyone have a Part #? What worked for you? Thx

I just replaced the one on an 89 MJ. I used the 2 piece from NAPA, don't have the part # handy. My old one was flat also, maybe just because it was old:dunno:.

JIM.

I just replaced the one on an 89 MJ. I used the 2 piece from NAPA, don't have the part # handy. My old one was flat also, maybe just because it was old:dunno:.

JIM.

I haven't tried NAPA yet... but everyone has the Felpo double lip in stock. And everyone's says use the double... but I wanted some more input before i go with the double because neither of them look like the one I pulled out. Like yours it was flat as well when it came out. Did the bearing seal you installed seal good and not leak?

I bought mine at Autozone. Don't recall specifically but believe it was a feltpro. Been somewhere around 6 years now. Still drip free.

it's likely that the lip of the seal has become brittle and completely worn away, every one i've changed has looked flat when it came out. use the fel pro seal, the biggest part of the job is cleaning the damn OEM paper gasket off of the block.

I used the Felpro double lip. Only have about 70 miles on it,but no leaks.

JIM.

Ok got the rear main in no problem... just had to put some pressure on the side of it while installing so it wouldn't rip on the corner of the block.

But now about the oil pan gasket... how did you make sure the rear part of the gasket sat in the lip of the bearing cap right and didn't just slip out???

Bump! Someone?

I used some rtv on the pan, put the gasket on & used some bolts & large washers to hold it down while the rtv dried. Then mounted the pan.

JIM.

Rear main HELL.

Since the thread was going I thought I would chime in with a problem. I just changed the rear main in my 00 XJ and something is still leaking. I know the seal is correct. I pulled the inspection plate and I can see the coming from the bottom of the oil pan rear seal but I cant tell if its leaking from the main seal itself and then dripping down. Its leaking pretty fast , almost a steady stream while the engine is running.
Any ideas? This is driving me crazy. I've had it apart twice now (autozone gave me the wrong seal the first time). Their computer had the 99- part number the same for the 00+.

Thanks.

Back