• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

NAXJA Photo Assignment.

DrMoab

NAXJA Forum User
I am in the process of buying a new camera and have been spending a little time on some photo websites who do a photo assignment. How it works is they come up with a word and then you have to go take a picture of something that represents that word.

Since we have the adventure forum, I thought it would be fun to do this here. Since we are a Jeep club there should be some rules.

1st, The picture must be taken after the assignment is given. This means you can not go back through your photo library and pick a photo that matches...you must go out and find something.

2nd, You must in some way use your jeep to take the photo. It doesn't matter if the photo is of your jeep or if you use your jeep to get to the place where the photo is. In some way your jeep must be included.

3rd, Make it an adventure...after all thats what this forum is about.

4th, No nasty comments on anyones photos. This should be a constructive idea.

So...lets try this out. Since the month is half over, we can use it as a good test bed. If the big dogs on the BOD think this is a good idea maybe we can make it an official thing with monthly voting and such. For now lets just have fun.

This month (May) the word will be...

AROUND

So go find something that represents the word "around" in your mind and post your pic up here.

Like "A Round Tire"?

43f28a0e.jpg

Daryl

Does this count
It's A round.
around.jpg

:D
What if my jeep is what brought me to work and I took the picture at work? Kinda bending the rules, huh?

Last edited:
So If I understand correctly;

We should shoot the photo keeping in mind it will be critized in a constructive and friendly manner by our peers on how well it meets the above criteria.
Also from what I read in to it, on merits of photographic qualities as well like exposure, composition, sharpness, .

Do you want any limits on number of submissions, min or max submission size (800 pixel max on longest side for example), any post processing/framing restrictions, hosting, or anything else along those lines?

xjblue said:
Do you want any limits on number of submissions, min or max submission size (800 pixel max on longest side for example), any post processing/framing restrictions, hosting, or anything else along those lines?
I think that would depend on how well it works out.

If every naxja member decided to try this out then yeah, one or two submissions would be all you would want. However if only one or two people post a photo then it really wouldn't matter.

As far as size. I post everything in 1024X768. I think you get far more detail in a larger shot..or at least the ability to judge sharpness and contrast.

Sounds good!

dphillips said:
Does this count
It's A round.
:D
What if my jeep is what brought me to work and I took the picture at work? Kinda bending the rules, huh?
I like it, but your background is cluttered, and you didn't follow the rule of thirds....

:doh:

In order to make work on the Neon easier and just get around in general I had to pull the Egg out of the driveway and park it on the street.

This also necessitated putting the red Jeep on the street as well (both to get it out of the way and to hook it up to the trailer, you can't park unhooked up trailers on the city street).

This was an adventure because the Jeep has no down pipe, Open Header baby!

The slightly (okay, very) silly photo...
20080505-TheEggDrop.jpg

GSequoia said:
In order to make work on the Neon easier and just get around in general I had to pull the Egg out of the driveway and park it on the street.

This also necessitated putting the red Jeep on the street as well (both to get it out of the way and to hook it up to the trailer, you can't park unhooked up trailers on the city street).

This was an adventure because the Jeep has no down pipe, Open Header baby!

The slightly (okay, very) silly photo...
20080505-TheEggDrop.jpg

Meets requirements. the Egg is definitely A roundish item, However for composition sake i would have pulled the jeep forward slightly so the tree trunk could be centered in the frame. I understand that would make the driveway inaccessible but if you left the jeep idling while snapping the pic you could add to the adventure and keep that neighbor with the subwoofer in his place.

ymmv

vetteboy said:
From a wheeling trip. This guy certainly got turned around.

166136464_12adf905c8_o.jpg
Now see, this is more what Im thinking off. Its unusual, artistic...decent composition and it fits the theme.

Come on guys...put a little effort into it.

DrMoab said:

Uh, what's the prize? That's a lot of effort for a photo contest. I've only got one Jeep and it's going to be hard to roll it over in the driveway.

DrMoab said:
Now see, this is more what Im thinking off. Its unusual, artistic...decent composition and it fits the theme.

fine i'll go put my jeep on it's side tomorrow and take a pic will that make you happy.

Back