• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tire Carrier Recommendations

cshontz

NAXJA Forum User
I'm thinking about tire carriers for my 01 XJ. I want accommodations for a 245/75R16 on a stock Jeep wheel, a Hi-Lift, and preferably a water/gas can.

I like the features on the Wilderness unit, and how it can be accessorized, but I don't like the latching mechanism, and I don't like the bumper itself. Bleah. Looks like they just elongated the Wrangler model.

jeep_cherswing.jpg

I'd really prefer to keep my stock bumper and tow hitch. However, I'm fully aware that I'll probably need to make some trade-offs to get the spare tire and Hi-Lift on the tailgate.

Is there a solution that keeps the factory rear bumper endcaps?

The Cherokee is used for exploring forest roads, mainly. It doesn't see much technical terrain. I'm very particular about my gear - it has to be both functional, and aesthetically pleasing.

115087931_130bb02100.jpg

Is there a solution that replaces the end caps and cleanly matches up to the rear fender flares?

I'd prefer a top-mounted swing-away as opposed to face-mounted. Since my tires aren't that large, I'd prefer a spare mount height that doesn't completely obscure my rear window. Any suggestions you guys have would be greatly appreciated. :)

374042146_51643fc885.jpg

Last edited:
with the wilderness bumper you may be able to keep the end caps of your factory bumper....I have a C4x4 rear bumper but its a face mounted one and you said you didnt want that... It also has rocker protection

Last edited:
I've seen people post up swing out tire carriers with stock bumpers. They used stock swing outs (might even have been from XJs, can't recall). I tried to search it using: "swing out" + original. I got a few threads, but you might try searching with different wording. Below is a link to one that sounds like the guy got tired of trying to fit up to the stock bumper.

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=25970&highlight=swing+out+original

I went with Detours bumper (link below). I definitey dig it. The rear rocker protection (replaces the end caps) fit my XJ like a glove. I didn't even need to support it while I bolted it up. It's more than stout enough to support a tire, jack and some utility tools, but I don't remember if he makes brackets for them or not (check out the site).

http://detoursusa.com/

Sorry I couldn't point you right to the info, but if you use the search function, I'm sure you'll find folks who've run swing outs on the stock bumper with some reinforcing of the sheet metal at the attachment points. Good luck and post up your results.

I personally like the one that is sold by Greg at C-ROK. C-ROK.COM is their website I believe. His is reasonably priced and appears to be much stronger than the other tire carrier bumpers I've seen. His price is $950 or so I think it came to. Highly recommended!

Matt98XJ said:
I don't know about you guys, but I like to see out my back window, so my spare is in the cab.

I agree, but if I had to have a tire carrier externally mounted, I'd go with the C-Rok! ;)

I have a Durango with tire carrier. Not cheap, but well built and I really like the look of it. The Spare is a little bit low but seldom has given me any trouble.
Chandler9-9-06010.jpg

Its tough as all hell also. The bumper in the pic came off of my friends 97. Fat Tuesday 2 years ago he got him at 50mph by a stock cherokee while he was sitting still. It totaled his jeep, pushed the a-pillars forward, broke the seat, radio etc etc. The Bumper unbolted from his jeep and went right onto mine with no trouble. Built like a brick shithouse :D.

Check out Tomken Mfg. I have the bumper and tire swing from them, They are not super heavy duty but for the money they are good enough for normal use. It will allow you to use the stock end caps. I have a 31 mounted on it and can still see out the back fairly well.

Hope this is usefull

Thomas

As others have mentioned there is the stocker Tire carrier from Jeep that would retain your bumper/endcaps etc. and you could modify it to carry highlift, cans etc. But a Friend of mine put one on his jeep and a 35" tire and with that alone it was not stout enough to handle the weight and he had to change it over one like you mentioned. You really need a bumper like that to carry and assortment of tools etc that can handle that weight

Take a good look at the Durango 4X4 rear. I recently put one on my 2000, along with the high lift and can holder. It was not cheap, but I was impressed. Very strong, well built, and looks good. "George" is good to work with. He added shackle tabs and made sure the powder coat that was applied matched what ARB uses on the bull bar for a perfect match to my front bumper.

Detour said:
It's new, affordable, and coming to a website near you.......SOON.

ShowLettertailbone.jpg

Tease...

Is that a stock rear bumper or yours with factory lines?

The spare being off to the drivers side allows the use of cans/jack on the pass side as well as the visibility.

Chris, that looks like it would suit you well.

Do you have a shot of the rear straight on?
Is the plate fully exposed?

fordtech said:
got my attention....

X3

Keep talkin', Detour. Your design is nearly dead-on, and my interest is piqued. The tailgate clear the hinge okay? I appreciate the creative detail, but available without the flames? Fit over stock hitch? Would love to see a vertical Hi-Lift and gas/water can mount like the Wilderness. :D

348531198_bf7ede248c.jpg

Last edited:
Back