• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

motor problems-----help needed

fluidmotion

NAXJA Forum User
[font=verdana, helvetica, sans-serif]ok so randomly on acceleration my motor will bog down like it is out of gas but it does it no matter how full the tank is. but thats not all, when i take a right turn semi hard the motor will bog down and toally die. so what is causing this? anyone?
[/font]

Fuel injected? Carb'd?

If carbureuted, possibly float bowl going dry, maybe rebuild? Sounds more like a fuel pump/ fuel filter issue.

James

fluidmotion said:
[font=verdana, helvetica, sans-serif]........my motor will bog down like it is out of gas....[/font]

That's probably because the motor really isn't getting any gas because the fuel pump's on the way out.

Don't you just love those hard to diagnose intermittent faults?
When the engine dies, do all the electrics die with it or do they still remain operational?

Check the routing and condition of the wire from the CPS. If it's loose, it could be intermittantly shorting against the exhaust manifold.

It's possible that the CPS itself is kaput so you should think about replacing it especially if it's the original one from '92. I also have a '92 XJ and my old CPS died two years ago at about 160k miles. That's a lot longer than most of them last.

afaik it is the original CPS. when i changed the fuel filter yesturday it was pretty clogged. i could turn it one way and dump out all the gas and then turn it over and dump out more. im also gonna replace the cap and rotor but im going to hold off on everything else now because it has yet to act up again. so its hard to tell if there is something wrong now.

I would change the CPS anyway. Mine started acting up in November 2002 and initially I didn't think the CPS was the problem because the engine only cut out twice in a short time and then it didn't do it again for six months. I was starting to think it was the fuel pump. By May 2003 the engine started cutting out again at random and it progressively got worse over the next month or so until I could hardly drive 1/2 a mile without the engine dying, and then it would take a while before it would start again.
Replace the CPS, otherwise you might be tearing your hair out later on if the engine dies on you in the middle of nowhere and you're left stranded.

that would make sense but then wouldnt my tach be on the friz and not my motor boggin down. oh and it came back tonight so its the pump or something else doing it.

check the voltage on the throttle position sensor. if it reads less than 4.5 volts or so at WOT, that could be it. my 95' did this wierd thing where it was acting like the electrical connector was loose, but it turned out that something was loose inside the sensor, and at WOT it would read anywhere from .5-3.5 volts.

xuv-this said:
check the voltage on the throttle position sensor. if it reads less than 4.5 volts or so at WOT, that could be it. my 95' did this wierd thing where it was acting like the electrical connector was loose, but it turned out that something was loose inside the sensor, and at WOT it would read anywhere from .5-3.5 volts.

not to knock what you said but why would that cause the problem when im turning and not even on the gas.

Back