• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Can I drive my 90 xj to mechanic without rear drive shaft

lapaul

NAXJA Forum User
My rear U joint came apart, and my rear drive shaft fell off, from my 90 xj.

I'm thinking of taking it to a mechanic. I drove it a short distance to my house when it happened, in part time 4 wheel drive (essentially having it operate as a front wheel drive)

Can I drive 30 or more miles this way to my mechanic without the rear drive shaft without damage to the transfer case or front drive shaft.

Last edited:
jneary said:
theoretically it would work, but i wouldnt recommend it . if you remove the rear drive shaft. the fluid would leak out of the transfer case

A bit of fluid will escape, but you can cap it. Once upon a time, I had some spiffy cups that fit snug over the snout... anymure I just use the bottom 4" or so of a plastic 20 oz soda bottle. You may have to slit into it to allow it to expand or contract, just leave this slit up at the top. Secure it with a hose-clamp. I have heard of folks using a piece of trashbag, ziplok etcc, duct tape & a clamp as well. Whatever.

Just top off the case to the normal level and it should be fine for getting around a ways... Just keep an eye on the homemade cap and for obvious puddles after sitting awhile. (I've driven 500+ painless miles this way with a front limited slip, probably wouldn't want to drive 50 feet with a front locker) If it's a 242 case, be sure to use 4-high Part Time...I don't think 4-high fulltime will work in front wheel drive.

Also be sure to inspect that shaft and the pinion yoke for damage...might be worthwhile to have the shaft's balance checked???

Back