• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

She's dead, Jim !!!

crystalship1

NAXJA Forum User
Yesterday I pulled out of my drive and took off to run some errands. When I pulled up to the first stop sign, she died and would only start and run with a lot of throttle. After a few re-starts she kept running albeit a little rough. I figured I gotta little ice in the lines as it was only about 17 out. By the time I hit the interstate I noticed the temp gauge was showing that she was running a bit hot and I also noticed that there was zero heat coming out of the heating ducts. About a minute later I got the old "Check Gauge" light and buzzer. The temp was now into the red zone. I pulled over and slowed down which dropped the temp back just outside the red zone. There was white smoke coming from the back and all I wanted to do was to get off the interstate. I limped her to the next exit and by the time I got her off to a safe pull-off spot, she crapped-out and was steaming and leaking water from somewhere near the water pump. So..... 2 1/2 hrs. of sitting in the cold, my wrecker finally got there and towed me to a near-by garage. The private garage has an excellent rep. with some of my friends and family, so I just waiting to hear the news.

Anyone want to place odds on what the verdict will be??? :rolleyes:

:cheers:

Head gasket or cracked head.

My best guess she frooze. How good was your coolant like to what temp would it go down to?

Around wisconsin you gotta keep it good to -35 or you will freeze. currently it -3 yesterday was -15 when I woke up so 17 right now would feel warm.

Sorry to hear about your problems crystalship1! You have been a great contributor to the Jeep forums.

My guess is overheating due to a bad water pump which led to a blown head gasket.

How are we doing??

birchlakeXJ said:
Sorry to hear about your problems crystalship1! You have been a great contributor to the Jeep forums.

My guess is overheating due to a bad water pump which led to a blown head gasket.

How are we doing??

Thanks for the kind words. Well.... with MY luck, a head gasket would be good news. I'll keep you all informed as I haven't heard from the garage yet. :peace:

IllianaXJ said:
Who is doing the work? What part of Indy?

Castleton Auto Repair in the Castleton area (near the post office and Deflecto Corp.)

AND..... I just found a 10% discount coupon on-line for any work over $150 !!!! :thumbup:

:wave1:

Last edited:
UPDATE: She's dead, Jim !!!

UPDATE: Whooo Whoo!!!!! NOT a cracked head!!! .... NOT a blown head-gasket!!! .... Turned-out to be a blown lower radiator hose. I keep telling myself that even though I could have fixed the thing myself for a fraction of what I paid to have it done IF I had the time and IF I had the facilities, I'm a happy man to hear the fix was not major. AND ... they flushed my heater core and I now have REAL heat now!! They also changed my oil while it was in. So... there it is. I can't believe that I lucked-out as my luck tends not to run this way. Thanks for all the comments, everybody. :spin1:

crystalship1 said:
Yesterday I pulled out of my drive and took off to run some errands. When I pulled up to the first stop sign, she died and would only start and run with a lot of throttle. After a few re-starts she kept running albeit a little rough. I figured I gotta little ice in the lines as it was only about 17 out. By the time I hit the interstate I noticed the temp gauge was showing that she was running a bit hot and I also noticed that there was zero heat coming out of the heating ducts. About a minute later I got the old "Check Gauge" light and buzzer. The temp was now into the red zone. I pulled over and slowed down which dropped the temp back just outside the red zone. There was white smoke coming from the back and all I wanted to do was to get off the interstate. I limped her to the next exit and by the time I got her off to a safe pull-off spot, she crapped-out and was steaming and leaking water from somewhere near the water pump. So..... 2 1/2 hrs. of sitting in the cold, my wrecker finally got there and towed me to a near-by garage. The private garage has an excellent rep. with some of my friends and family, so I just waiting to hear the news.

Anyone want to place odds on what the verdict will be??? :rolleyes:

Re: UPDATE: She's dead, Jim !!!

crystalship1 said:
UPDATE: Whooo Whoo!!!!! NOT a cracked head!!! .... NOT a blown head-gasket!!! .... Turned-out to be a blown lower radiator hose. I keep telling myself that even though I could have fixed the thing myself for a fraction of what I paid to have it done IF I had the time and IF I had the facilities, I'm a happy man to hear the fix was not major. AND ... they flushed my heater core and I now have REAL heat now!! They also changed my oil while it was in. So... there it is. I can't believe that I lucked-out as my luck tends not to run this way. Thanks for all the comments, everybody. :spin1:

thats great news! now only if some of your luck couold be passed onto me :laugh2:

Re: UPDATE: She's dead, Jim !!!

rag said:
thats great news! now only if some of your luck couold be passed onto me :laugh2:

Thanks!!! Sending good "vibes" your way!!! :wave:

glad it turned out "on the good side" for you.

the other week end we wasnt getting any heat either, then i put some 50/50 cpplant in it, still took all week-end to get through out & push heat.into the cab. oh & it was around the 15 to 20 degree area here.

bgred2 said:
What type of oil did they put in?

Mobile One 10W30

cracked-butt said:
glad it turned out "on the good side" for you.

the other week end we wasnt getting any heat either, then i put some 50/50 cpplant in it, still took all week-end to get through out & push heat.into the cab. oh & it was around the 15 to 20 degree area here.

I can highly recommend doing the direct heater core flush. Works wonders!!

i would think that too crystalship1, but i know that i have a pin-hole leak in the radiator, & the "overflow" bottle has a leak in it too. but the heater core itself doesnt seam to be a problem.it does work... oh & it may help if i pout the thermostate back in it huh? lol but i realy want/need to fix that pesky rad leak first. other wise i'll be addin coolant to it every other day.

cracked-butt said:
i would think that too crystalship1, but i know that i have a pin-hole leak in the radiator, & the "overflow" bottle has a leak in it too. but the heater core itself doesnt seam to be a problem.it does work... oh & it may help if i pout the thermostate back in it huh? lol but i realy want/need to fix that pesky rad leak first. other wise i'll be addin coolant to it every other day.

Ahhh so....... OK then. :thumbup:

Back