• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

info on np 208

GotMud?

NAXJA Forum User
Hi guy's
I have a 86 xj 2.5 with a np208 , 3" lift and 1" tranny drop.
My front driveshaft has a c.v boot on one end and it's making
a grinding noise. I have looked around and can't find a re-placement ( oh by the way I live in Ontario,Canada). Is there
a kit that I could by to convert it to the u-joint style????. Any info
would be helpful Thanks

are you sure its a 208? I did not think that any came stock with a 208

if auto it should have been a 228 or 229

if manual it should be a 207

someone may have swapped it in from one of the others.

You should be able to convert it to a ujoint no problem, just take it to a decent driveline shop

Then I believe the 231 is a direct replacement, does your rig have a vac disco front axle I believe the 207 has a 2.60:1 low and the 231 has a 2.72:1 low and the case is stronger

,.another very good reason to be here at the NAXJA forum-.err, I am thinking that I have just had the same experience as GOTMUD? -I also have the 1986 XJ and my initial impression after getting under and viewing the metal tag on the transfer case was that I had a NP208C-I would cordially suggest to you and anyone else before committing to any plan ,to open up the transfer case if you have not already done so-there might be another surprise waiting-I found out mine was a older style NP228 transfer case found on on the larger Wagoneers-It can be a cost-effective commitment and strong transfer case.Afterwards I simply ordered a rebuild kit($119.00)+ chain($70.00) and changed the output shaft to 31-splines($45.00)for my particular application.{Chevy LT1-350 V-8 5.7 liter 700-R trans)

There were three T/cases offered in the early XJ...

84-86 could have a 207, 228, or 229. Those are the ones listed in my FSM.

GotMud? said:
Hi guy's
I have a 86 xj 2.5 with a np208 , 3" lift and 1" tranny drop.
My front driveshaft has a c.v boot on one end and it's making
a grinding noise. I have looked around and can't find a re-placement ( oh by the way I live in Ontario,Canada). Is there
a kit that I could by to convert it to the u-joint style????. Any info
would be helpful Thanks

You can replace it with a double-cardan driveshaft, I can give you the part number, but you'll have to e-mail me, since I don't have it with me at the office.

I had the exact same problem and I used a double-cardan driveshaft from a newer 2.5 lt XJ. On my truck I had to shorten it about 2 cm, yours might be different enough to be a direct transplant. Oh, you will also need a yoke for the front output of the transfer case, I think a 231 yoke will do fine.

Rgds

Are you a member?

There is a write up about my adventures doing that swap.

The part number for the double cardan driveshaft is: 53005541

Rgds

Back