• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AW4 P0753 issue heat related

Patsygrist-01

NAXJA Forum User
I've been searching this forum but can't find anything like my problem so here's yet another AW4 post.

1998 Cherokee XJ. 125,000 miles

Transmission is perfect at startup when cold. After 20 miles or so at highway speed the torque converter kicks out and the rpm's change from about 1875 to around 2200. From that point on it skips 2nd gear when pulling away from a stop. Check engine light also comes on with a P0700 and P0753 shift solenoid A.

Transmission fluid has been changed twice and solenoid A was replaced by a reputable transmission shop. Wiring looks good to thembut I don't know if the tranny was having an issue when they checked it.

I replaced the transmission control module with one from a salvage yard. I've replaced the throttle position sensor with an oem. The transmission shop says there is not anything wrong with the transmission itself so they consider the problem not theirs.

Anyway it looks to me like a heat related wiring problem. Any ideas? I don't know squat about wiring and I don't know who to take it to. Besides a dealership. The malfunction condition also has to exist when the wiring is being check out, right? What procedure would be best that I can pass on to whoever I find to work on it?

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated. This is my right hand drive mail vehicle and it has been out of commission for about a month now.

Last edited:
Back