• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

what's needed to make these axles fit

ehall

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
rears.gif

Now available exclusively from Mopar Performance — the Jeep Wrangler Rubicon front and rear axle assemblies. These assemblies will provide the next level of off road performance for your CJ, YJ or TJ. These axles are shipped with the current Wrangler Rubicon suspension mounting brackets installed. Adaptation of these units into previous models is the responsibility of the purchaser. These axles come completely assembled with 4.10 gear, disc brakes, and locking differential. A limited slip rear axle assembly is also available.
Specifications:
Track Width: 61.9"
Wheel Bolt Pattern: 5 on 5.0"
Rear Axle Tube Diameter: 80 mm
Front Axle Tube Diameter: 63.5 mm
Front Axle Tube Diameter: 302 mm Diameter x 28 mm Wide, Vented
Rear Brake Rotor: 316 mm Diameter s 12 mm Wide, Solid
P5153825 Jeep Rubicon Front Axle Assembly, Locking Differential, 4.10 Axle Ratio $1285.00
P5153826 Jeep Rubicon Rear Axle Assembly, Locking Differential, 4.10 Axle Ratio $1185.00
P5153827 Jeep Rubicon Rear Axle Assembly, Limited Slip Differential, 4.10 Axle Ratio $985.00

That's a smoking deal for locked/4.10s with new brake parts.... Can these be modified to fit the XJ or is that too much work?

the front will be a bolt in. The rear you will have to change the spring mounts and the shock mounts mabey some drive shaft mods plumbing to the brakes should work

Off the top of my head, here's what I got:
You'll need to cut / grind off all the shock & control arm mounts in the rear and add spring perches / shock mounts that work for the XJ rear suspension instead of the coil rear that the rubicons have.
The front, I rather expect you'll need to do the same thing. XJs and JKs both use control arms but I doubt the bracketry is the same. Might work, probably need to be cut and re-welded to work with XJ suspension.
Width - anyone know if the Rubis are the same width as Xjs or what?
Drivelines - probably going to need some sort of adaptors to mate these up to your driveshafts / maybe even new custom driveshafts?

It sounds like a project, if you ask me. Might be easier to find an XJ d44 and build it, or cheaper to go with an 8.8 swap. 8.8s will take some fab to get it under there, but at 110 for the kit from Ruffstuffspecialities.com it isn't heartbreaking.
Also - the air locker in the Rubicon axle takes some odd amount of air pressure so you'd have to to some custom plumbing to make it work, I think its at 5 psi but don't take it as gospel...

lol, 44's buddy

alteredxj said:
the front will be a bolt in. The rear you will have to change the spring mounts and the shock mounts mabey some drive shaft mods plumbing to the brakes should work

The front will not be bolt in.

Those are JK front axles. You will have to do new bracketry front and rear, on the front I believe just trackbar and LCA mounts. On the rear, grind the mounts off and put leaf perches on.. an afternoon of welding to do both.

You'll need to fabricate steering, and buy new wheels, and driveshafts.

They are excellent axles though and a good deal.

so can i get those off the mopar site. and i thought the lockers where electrical.

They are.

The rear is a 32 spline "dana 44", electric locker.

The front is a 30 spline high pinion "dana 44", electric locker, crossover steering with 30 spline stubs.

They aren't true "dana 44" setups though and require gears that are made only for the JK. Superior has them in 4.88 and 5.13.

90exjay said:
These assemblies will provide the next level of off road performance for your CJ, YJ or TJ.:dunno:

Sean

Yes, they are offering them as an upgrade to those vehicles .. where the JK already has them.

(at least the rubicon does, but who would buy a non rubi jk?)

petersens had an article on them;
the uca mounts are 20.5 center to center and the lowers are 33 center to center

If you were starting from scratch and didn't want to run bigger than 33"s, these axles would be a decent way to go. But like was said, some fab work is required, or at least cut and weld of new brackets if not fab them. 4.10s with 33"s is a wee bit sketchy IMO, but it would work. The price is certainly decent for what you get.

I think this is the Petersen's article

link

the Rubicon's 44 front is now a reverse-pinion design, has stronger tubes, a bigger pinion shaft and bearings, bigger 1350 series U-joints, better axles, and a captive unit bearing. The Rubicon's rear 44 features bigger pinion bearings and pinion, a larger (yes, larger) ring gear by 10 mm, bigger tubes, and (gasp) 32-spline 1.4-inch-diameter special axleshafts. That stuff will keep the aftermarket busy for a while, and, oh yeah, the completely new-style lockers front and rear are now engaged magnetically, instead of vacuum operated. Less is better in this case. Did we mention the drain plugs? Find that in another vehicle....

131_0604_03_z+2007_jeep_jk_wrangler+steering.jpg

131_0604_04_z+2007_jeep_jk_wrangler+axle.jpg

131_0604_06_z+2007_jeep_jk_wrangler+axle.jpg

the article is in the april 08 issue i just got

Back