• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

8.25 bearing and seal replacements

CamoXJeep

NAXJA Forum User
Any writeups on this or is this pretty straight forward? I did search and found very little info. Just pry out the seal, use bearing puller and installer to install new bearing and seals? Any other info I might be missing? Thanks Jeff

Carrier bearings???

Pinion bearings???

use an 8mm 6pt combo wrench. do not use a 12pt socket or combo as its very common to round the crosspin bolt.
I also find alot of times thats its easier to cut the old bearing out rather than try and pull it out. I mean I have lots of practice at using a slid hammer, but even I get tired. :wierd: :rattle:
push a rag into the tube before you cut/pull. That will keep bearings from going in further than you wanted.
inspect the shafts for galling and pitting.
have fun. should take you no more than an hour.

If you ever need to do a major tear down, this SITE HERE has a pretty decent write up on the 8.25....

XJ1998JEEP said:
Just be sure to adjust your your backlash when you reinstall the carrier and pinion.
This is a very crucial step !

He's not removing the carrier or the pinion.

Try to keep up. Thanks.

Back