• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Crankshaft key

YosemiteJeeper

NAXJA Forum User
I was wondering if there is any special thing I have to do to remove/install the crankshaft key for the damper. Do I just get it out and throw it in the new crank or do I need a machine shop's help? I just want to make sure so I don't f*** anything up, I don't want to fix more than I already need to hahaha

I was wondering if there is any special thing I have to do to remove/install the crankshaft key for the damper. Do I just get it out and throw it in the new crank or do I need a machine shop's help? I just want to make sure so I don't f*** anything up, I don't want to fix more than I already need to hahaha

- Remove key from old crankshaft.

- Clean up key.

- Make sure keyway in new crankshaft is clean.

- Apply small amount of grease to key.

- Set key in keyway in new crankshaft.

- Install timing sprocket/harmonic damper.

That's really it. I find it helps if you set the key in so that the nose end is slightly lower than the engine end (helps the part slide on, particularly the harmonic damper!) but you can work with the key level if you want to. Just make sure it's not "sloped backwards," where the nose end is higher than the engine end (if you slope it toward the nose, it will level itself out as the part slides on. If you slope it toward the engine, you'll shear it off if you don't catch it.)

Back