• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cold start fine, warm startup rough idle

Forceful Llama

NAXJA Forum User
94 4.0, aw4, about 97k miles.

About 2 weeks ago I was loading boxes from my storage and moving them to my place across town. No problems all day. I go to startup the jeep to drive back across town and I get really rough idle and feels like it's going to die. Plans are check fuel pressure, tps, and clean the iac. Any other things I should look at? Doesn't seem to do this everytime, maybe 30-40% of the time.

I have no answers but my 96 is doing something similar. Cold motor in the mornings and maybe two hundred yards from the house and it acts like it wants to die or is only running on half the cylinders. I'm not sure if it is too rich or lean, it happens most mornings. Then later on a warm motor, if I park for a few minutes and restart it does the same, sometimes. Occasionally when I restart and drive a short distance, then idle, it will run really rich (I can see the soot coming out of the exhaust) and act like it wants to crap out. If I pedal down a little and add some air it most always seems to go away.

Some days I have no issues at all.

I've read multiple threads with about the same symptoms and haven't figured out the answer yet. I don't know why but I suspect the O2 sensor, but I have no codes. And I'm not really sure if the O2 sensor does much on a cold motor?

It always starts just fine even on the coldest mornings (15-20F).

If you have an epiphany please let me know.:)

Back