• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Anybody know anything about GPS trackers?

Original_MudButt

NAXJA Forum User
I just bought a Can Am Maverick, and I'm thinking of getting a tracker in case it ever gets stolen. I've already installed a removable steering wheel, but you just never know.

Anyway, I'm just starting to do a little research on trackers and of course all I can find are sites selling them. I'm not finding much in the way of tech articles.

The biggest thing I've run into is finding the right unit for what I need. I don't need a fleet tracker, because, well it's not a semi hauling goods all over the U.S.... And the little bitty ones that you put on your lap top or key ring are not GPS trackers, they are just locators good for about 100'...

I'd prefer to not have to pay a monthly fee if possible.

Anyone have any experience with these things?

I don't have experience with the commercially available GPS trackers, but I do have experience with several things in the ham radio world that might apply. Are you a licensed ham? Or have you considered getting licensed?

You might want to look into Byonics Micro-trackers and also APRS.

I am not exactly sure how one would go about setting up a permanent beacon system though. All the games I play are on a temporary basis. There would need to be some homework to stay on the right side of the rules.

Are you a licensed ham? Or have you considered getting licensed?
I know absolutely nothing about ham radio.

Lojack makes them for motorcycles. Its expensive though, something like a $700 one time fee

According to their website, "LoJack is no longer actively selling the LoJack® System for motorcycles. We still maintain the infrastructure to enable activation and recovery of motorcycles..."

Try looking at one of those "spy supply" type sites.

Back