• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

State and local laws

Bent

Only Marble Sharp
NAXJA Member
Since the majority of us will be coming from out of state we don't want any surprises. Here in Southern California, and especially the town I live in pretty much anything goes with regards to vehicle modifications. What do we have to be wary of getting there and while we're there; both vehicle wise and otherwise?

The only thing I have seen ticketed was a lack of fenders, but if you aren't an ass and respect the speed limit, act civil, and don't drive drunk, I don't see many tickets being issued. If you piss them off, you can expect them to throw everything they can think of at you.

They actually went way out of their way to help me out several times. I have a ton of respect for them. I had an axle shell out on the side of the road. I had to back up a tow dolly on the wrong side of the road to load the XJ. A cop stopped and I explained. He parked behind me and put on the lights to make it safer and when I got loaded, he actually stopped traffic both ways on a busy highway to allow me to do a u turn and head into town. Damn nice guy.

I have always found if you treat them with respect and act friendly, they will reciprocate.

Last edited:
In 2003 and 2008 I drove half an XJ on full widths, 39 red labels and hydro steer everywhere getting to and from the trails. I passed several officers. No one seemed to care at that time. I had nothing for fenders as well.

I also did the speed limit (or less), didn't act a fool, and didn't drive it to the bar.

There are stories from EJS of crazy tickets and such, however, that event is a huge event with lots of people that don't use common sense.

mac 'had the LJ in 2013...didn't even get a look' gyvr

PS this is not to say that they won't ticket you either...

Mudflaps and fender flares are the most common but as was said if you're not a dick to the cop you generally get a written warning. So.. Well... You're going to jail!

Be aware that the blood alcohol limit in Utah is going from 0.08% to 0.05% before the event occurs. That means a couple of beers (or one Belgian White at 8.1%) at the Moab Brewery and you can be over the limit.

Flaps and flares became a suggested item instead of a required item in Utah this time last year.

Only on inspections. They are still required by law and they will ticket you if you don’t have them. Even worse, when inspections go away in 2018, so does the fix it ticket program. If you get caught with no flaps it’s a $170 ticket. No more freebies. That’s also only mud flaps. You still need flares to pass inspection and they will also ticket you for not having them.

So if the cop wants to be by the books you have to have mud flaps and flares on your rig to be 100% legal?

Is there a % tire coverage requirement for one or both that we can read?

So if the cop wants to be by the books you have to have mud flaps and flares on your rig to be 100% legal?

Is there a % tire coverage requirement for one or both that we can read?

Traditionally, at least, Utah requires 100% of the width (flare to the outside of tire) and 50% of the height (mudflap to the center of axle tube).

Traditionally, at least, Utah requires 100% of the width (flare to the outside of tire) and 50% of the height (mudflap to the center of axle tube).

His response was to me saying that law changed last October. I hadn't done either when I went to get my XJ inspected and he told me to come back with flaps and flares so I didn't waste my money on a automatic failure. Two days later he called and told me the law changed and passed it without flaps and flares.

Update on the BAC (Blood Alcohol legal limit). The new 0.05% level does not start until after the October Fall Fling. It will still be 0.08% during the event. That means you can still drink one high-test beer at the Moab Brewery and will probably be under the limit... But not two.

Update on the BAC (Blood Alcohol legal limit). The new 0.05% level does not start until after the October Fall Fling. It will still be 0.08% during the event. That means you can still drink one high-test beer at the Moab Brewery and will probably be under the limit... But not two.

Does Moab have Uber?

Just an observation but doesn't all of this have a states rights angle to it? I understand the rules with regard to Utah, but a tagged registered and inspected vehicle from another state should not be considered in violation. Unless Utah has a clause in their requirements e.g., " operated on Utah roadways" I don't see how you could be ticketed. NJ is a "police state", from what I hear, but I live here, and have never heard of a properly papered vehicle from out of state being hit with violations like that.

And there is a lawsuit for just that going on right now. A state cannot legally fine/ticket you for violating vehicle rules that are specific to their state as long as your vehicle is legal in the state you are registered. That said, CO law prohibits any modification of the suspension other that for purposes to increase safety while towing. So all of us are illegal.

The Colorado law pertaining to any modification to the suspension has been ruled unconstitutional multiple times.

My xj has been in Utah a bunch of times w/o mud flaps and I've never had a problem. I figure I will be OK w/o flaps in two months, but I suppose I could be wrong.

Back