• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

242 transfer case noise

ehall

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
A couple of months ago I installed a hack-n-tap on my 242. There was a leak at one of the bolts, the fluid ran out, and the transfer case started to make some noise. I was about 300 yards from a Car-Quest so I ran inside and bought some more fluid, filled it up and drove it home. Now the transfer case makes noise all the time. Usually its a very subtle clacking noise, but sometimes inside the car it sounds like gravel in a blender. I've put the car on a jack and listened with it in gear, and the noise is emanating from the rear half of the transfer case. The shaft isn't wobbling and I've already swapped drive shafts a couple of times. I'm guessing the chain is dragging but it sounds more like the gears are off the tooth or something. Anybody else experienced this noise and want to tell me what it is? I'm thinking about buying another transfer case to swap on while I tear this one down for a full rebuild, so I'm looking for some input here too.

Thanks

Maybe the bearing on the output shaft is damaged or has debris in it? Before you rebuild it maybe try putting something like Lucas Oil's Gear Lube. It might be worth $6.00 to see if that quiets things down before you go for the rebuild.

http://summitracing.com/search/Department/Oils-Fluids-Sealer/Part-Type/Gear-Lube/Brand/Lucas-Oil/

Monster Transmission has multiple items and kits with; a new chain, gaskets, and bearings.

http://www.monstertrans.com/store/categories/Transfer-Case/Jeep/NP-242/

Get a good manual and it will help you out tons on a DIY rebuild...and Good luck!

Last edited:
the chain dragging makes a similar sound. when my chain was loose i would turn the front yoke back and forth quickly and hear the chain slap the side of the case. might give that a try.

It was the chain. It was stretched a little bit and rubbed when the transfer case got warmed up

242_Chain_Stretched.sized.jpg

Replacement chain is much more snug. Cloyes 10028 for $55 on rockauto

I had the chain stretch (then break) on me once on a long load trip. I was about 24 hours from home. I blew a tire and put on the spare which was badly mis-matched for size. A couple hours later I was driving in some nasty ice and snow - the only other traffic was a few 18 wheelers which were all over the shoulders in various jacknife directions. I had to run in 4 x 4 to get me through for a couple of hours more just to get to the next town.

I started to get some unhappy noises after the first hour (gravel in a blender sounds like a great description) but didn't have a lot of choice. It let go about 5 minutes before I got to civilization, so I limped in in 2 wheel mode with a broken chain and a hole in the case the size of a silver dollar.

The only shop in town had parts and didn't rape me too badly (I think they used Royal Purple 10W30 as a lube to insert the bill.)

Back