• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Stuck Bolt

Wayne Sihler

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
Trying to remove the cable/rope anchor bolt on a Warn 8000.
I believe its a 1/4-20.Button head.Allen wrench just spun,EZ out couldnt get a grip.Chisel put a notch in it but still wouldnt turn.
Soaked it with Kroil.......stopped before I did something bad. Any suggestions ?

Is it in a position such that you could weld a nut to the top of it?

If so, get something like a 5/16" nut, drill it out to get rid of the plating (assuming it was plated), use something like a Dremel to grind out the plating on the head of the bolt and then weld the nut to the head of the bolt.

All this assumes you have room to work and the resources to weld. Or you can take it to someone who has welding resources.

Is the rope loose? Did you check the opposite end of the drum for another hole?

When I had that issue with my X2o winch, I just fashioned a new keeper and bolt and moved it to the other end of the drum to a new hole that was already there.

Did not check opposite side for a new hole.
Still have to remove the head off the old bolt anyway.
Wayne

Is the rope loose? Did you check the

opposite end of the drum for another hole?

When I had that issue with my X2o winch, I just fashioned a new keeper and bolt and moved it to the other end of the drum to a new hole that was already there.

Ugh, this is making me think I should unspool my line, pull my bolt and put some never-seize on it so I don't end up having this problem down the road...

Rob,given my current situation,,,,,,that would be a good idea.
Going to be in the 80*s today,will probably try to remove it,or screw it up today

QUOTE=Rob Mayercik;246564571]Ugh, this is making me think I should unspool my line, pull my bolt and put some never-seize on it so I don't end up having this problem down the road...[/QUOTE]

I WON:peace:
Took Dremell and a stone ,ground off button head.popped rope anchor off with the chisel,Took vice-grips and spun the little stub of the bolt out.
replaced bolt with a SS bolt and lots of anti-sieze.

Back