• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Death wobble

Brian Felts

NAXJA Forum User
Help I am in death wobble hell.Im getting ready to install a 3 inch rough country lift but Ineed to adress this problem first.Is it possible my RE 1.75 spacers are causing this? :skull1:

you haven't loosened anything yet? Check your track bar for play by having someone turn the wheel back and forth while you look at it. Any play is bad. Is it alligned? Pull off your stock steering stabilizer. Does it have much resistance? I personally would figure in a heavy duty steering stabilizer with the lift after my bad DW experience which was solved by that cheap mod alone.

I have a rancho 5000 steering stabilizer.Seems pretty tight.Stabilizer is less than a year old.Ay experience w pro comp es 1000 shocks? :eyes:

Steering dampner's are a major "Band-Aid"(most early vehicles dont even use them)!Look towards the trackbar and control arms!Good time for an up-grade!

I am having a similar problem with my 2000XJ. I have a Rusty's 3" lift and 30's. Steering damper is leaking. Will be ordering a new one this weekend. Just received a Rusty's heavy duty track bar with lowered track bar bracket. Super beefy. Instead of the ball joint end, it has the eyebolt socket. I will install it this weekend and let you know how it feels. The XJ rode great with the new front coils, but when I put in the 2" front spacers to level the truck, I got the Death Wobble something feirce. Took the spacers out and it still does it. Hoping this will cure the problem. Been too nervous to drive on the highway for almost 2 months now. Any other suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Will be in touch.

D

I have had this happen to me twice. The first time I was completely stock and it started. the tires had a broken belt inside or something like that. I lifted my Jeep(coil spring, and AAL only, no shocks or anything) and put on new swampers and it stopped. Then the swampers wore unevenly and it came back bad. So i replaced the control arms with poly bushings tie rods and ball joints and it was still there. Then I got new tires and it went away. My suggestion is to try someone elses tires if you can or if yours need replaced this may be the time. HTH

reballaced the tires istalled the liftand it stopped doing it just going down the road.however when you step on the brakes at about 50 it will skake so bad it will make you crap your pants.my new 8 inch rims seem to amplify the problem.

Brian Felts said:
reballaced the tires istalled the liftand it stopped doing it just going down the road.however when you step on the brakes at about 50 it will skake so bad it will make you crap your pants.my new 8 inch rims seem to amplify the problem.

To all you guys with DW. Did you get an alignment? If so post your numbers. If not, then that's where you need to start.

Back