• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ D44 disc conversion?

Jeepin Jason

NAXJA Member #1100
I searched, didn't come up with much info on the XJ D44. Lots of info on putting discs on the D35 and 8.25" though...

Anyway, here's what I'm after: I'm going to be converting our TJ's D44 rear to discs using OEM 2003 TJ/Rubicon disc parts later this winter or early spring. As we all know the XJ D44 uses some oddball housing end that doesn't match the later model axles, including the TJ D44, so the TJ/ZJ parts won't simply bolt right up to the XJ D44.

I've read Bill's write-up on using the ZJ backing plates and what all he did to redrill the backing plates. Well, what about doing what this cat did and redrill the housing ends?

http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=418240
discs17.jpg

I'm concerned with the elongation of the upper holes and the new holes being so close to the originals and weaking the overall brake mount, since those 4 bolts take all the braking force. What are y'all's thoughts on this particular issue?

Ideally I'd prefer to go that route as the TJ D44 shafts I've got for spares for our TJ would then also fit the XJ, not that I'm really all that worried about breaking a shaft, but it's nice to have compatible parts btwn the two rigs.

Tsm makes a kit, any kit that works on the early D 35 will work on the 44 they share the same patern.
Led

If you are worried about the empty set of holes, plug 'em & weld 'em up :)

Always good to have as many interchangeable parts between yer vehicles as possible :thumbup:

Jason,

Try it, you'll like it ;)

Chuck

Seriously, i would imagine that the bolts would shear off before anything happened to the flange. I've had the brakes apart a few time in the ~4 months since I did the swap, and the holes still look as they did when they were drilled. Key is to be sure to torque the mounting bolts down pretty good, to get a good clamp between the backing plate and the TJ retainer.

as mentioned before, if you're worried, weld up the old holes and grind the weld flush with the flange face and you're good to go. :cool:

What'd you use to elongate those upper holes? Dremel?

Like I said, if the altered hole pattern on the housing ends works well, I'd much rather do that to keep all the parts consistent btwn both rigs. :) One of the guys on my forum did the same conversion on his XJ D44 using your thread from JU, and so far he seems happy with it as well -- that's how I came across the thread on JU. ;)

Jas, When mine is apart I am going to adress the situation I think by using a longer bolt and putting another flange or steel plate on the back of the original one if I dont' think it is sturdy enough. I will be sure and take lots of pics.

BUCKYXJ said:
Jas, When mine is apart I am going to adress the situation I think by using a longer bolt and putting another flange or steel plate on the back of the original one if I dont' think it is sturdy enough. I will be sure and take lots of pics.

:D Cool, keep me updated as it's looking like this will be the route I go too.

Jeepin Jason said:
I searched, didn't come up with much info on the XJ D44. Lots of info on putting discs on the D35 and 8.25" though...

Anyway, here's what I'm after: I'm going to be converting our TJ's D44 rear to discs using OEM 2003 TJ/Rubicon disc parts later this winter or early spring. As we all know the XJ D44 uses some oddball housing end that doesn't match the later model axles, including the TJ D44, so the TJ/ZJ parts won't simply bolt right up to the XJ D44.

I've read Bill's write-up on using the ZJ backing plates and what all he did to redrill the backing plates. Well, what about doing what this cat did and redrill the housing ends?

I'm concerned with the elongation of the upper holes and the new holes being so close to the originals and weaking the overall brake mount, since those 4 bolts take all the braking force. What are y'all's thoughts on this particular issue?

Ideally I'd prefer to go that route as the TJ D44 shafts I've got for spares for our TJ would then also fit the XJ, not that I'm really all that worried about breaking a shaft, but it's nice to have compatible parts btwn the two rigs.

I am going to drill the housing plates. It looks like an easy job. I just got my ZJ parts today and plan on doing this next week. I need to get my d44 ready for install and the discs will be an added bonus. If you would like I can share how it goes when I get into it. I have most all the parts now I just need some time.

I assume you saw this.

http://www.stu-offroad.com/brakeconv/bc-1.htm

Curt

Its easier and stronger to drill the axle housing!Use the bearing retainer as a guide/template.If you do the backing plates(which are"cast") you would also have to re-drill the retainers!

RCP Phx said:
Its easier and stronger to drill the axle housing!Use the bearing retainer as a guide/template.If you do the backing plates(which are"cast") you would also have to re-drill the retainers!

Hmm, you may be right , not sure how I feel until I look at it for real. The link I posted they drilled the retainer and backing plates. Not sure if I like rounding out a hole like they did on the forum post however.

Curt

In Stu's article they didnt have to drill anything,the TJ axle already has the small pattern.Go to the MadXJ page if you want some info on the backing plate method!

RCP Phx said:
In Stu's article they didnt have to drill anything,the TJ axle already has the small pattern.Go to the MadXJ page if you want some info on the backing plate method!

I tried to find the madxj article, but couldn't find it. Could someone post the link?

Thanks,
Curt

Last edited:
Those spacers are custom made!Thatò+why you use thõ)Rubi retainer,4iey cost a whoppin 5$ for the pair.

RCP Phx said:
Those spacers are custom made!Thats why you use the Rubi retainer,they cost a whoppin 5$ for the pair.

Ok, so if I understand you, I don't need to fabricate. That is good news. It seems all I have to do is make the hole bigger in the center and redrill.

Shouldn't be too bad, unless I am not seeing all that needs to be seen.

Curt

Back