• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fuel Tank "J" Bolts

David_Bricker

PSR Fire Marshall
NAXJA Member
When I had to recently remove my fuel tank to fix a small leak caused by a rivet, the "J" bolts snapped, which is not surprising given the NY heritage of Gomer.

Looking online, "J" bolts seems to be around $30 a piece, and or course, two are required. Does anyone know of a more reasonable supplier? They need to be long enough to accommodate a gas tank skid plate, so probably 7-9" long.

David Bricker / SYR

I swiped this from another forum:

96XJGasTankWriteUp15OPT.jpg

At the moment I am running a broken OE J-bolt that I have lengthened with the addition of some allthread, a coupling nut and a couple of jam nuts. That is one option to consider if you need some extra length and also still have enough threads to work with (all depends on where the J-bolt broke).

Thanks for that idea. I am currently using a hardware store "J" bolt, which is similar on the end to the turnbuckle end, as I needed something to get back up and running. The turned ends, as opposed to the flattened and shaped ends of the normal gas tank "J" bolt causes the bolt to not sit vertical. Since the slots the bolts go into are opposed from each other side to side, I can't get the skid plate to mount up. The tank straps are fine, as they sit close enough to the top of the bolt that the skewing doesn't impact them.

David Bricker / SYR

Your welcome but I am not the one you should be thanking. It was one of those things you come across spending time on the forums, think to yourself "this info might come in handy some day" and you file it away for possible future use. I just remembered options existed. Not come up with them. LOL.

Mine were bent, and I figured I'd replace 'em after one broke when I installed my tank skid. They're not easy to find. I have a hardware store near me that has every kind of bolt and fastener you could want, and they didn't recognize them. Their longest J-bolt was too short. I ended up making a temporary one out of 3/8 allthread until I found a couple of good ones at the junkyard (most of those were bent too!)

The allthread is a pretty basic solution, although it's a little too brittle for my liking (I broke a couple pieces before I got the bend just right, probably should have heated it). You could even play with some steel rod and a thread die.

I swiped this from another forum:

96XJGasTankWriteUp15OPT.jpg

At the moment I am running a broken OE J-bolt that I have lengthened with the addition of some allthread, a coupling nut and a couple of jam nuts. That is one option to consider if you need some extra length and also still have enough threads to work with (all depends on where the J-bolt broke).

Ding ding ding, we have a winner, I think. I am going by a local Freightliner dealer tomorrow, as they have this part number in stock.

It is a 3/8 thread, which is the same as the factory "J" or "T" bolts. It has the same crimped head as the originals, unlike the hardware store "J" bolts. They are 7 1/2" long, whereas the ones from the Jeep supply places are 9" long. I'm hoping they will be long enough. I seem to recall a lot of extra thread past the skid plate on mine.

The best part? They are $5.64 each, as contrasted with $24-33 for the ones from the Jeep places (4WP, etc.). As backup, a friend is sending me a pair of original bolts, just in case these aren't long enough.

I will confirm whether they work in a few weeks.

David Bricker / SYR

Ding ding ding, we have a winner, I think. I am going by a local Freightliner dealer tomorrow, as they have this part number in stock.

I will confirm whether they work in a few weeks.

David Bricker / SYR

So I just happen to be pulling my tank, those bolts are stubborn. haven't broken yet but I stopped to let the kroil soak in for a day

Wondering if these freight liner battery "J"bolts did in fact work out as a quality replacement

I have them out at the Jeep, but didn't get a chance to install them. My son also had the time to replace the temporary bolts and install the skid plate.

For looking at them, I have no doubt that they will work perfectly if you don't have a skid plate. I'm not sure there will be enough length for my particular skid plate mounting.

David Bricker / SYR

Back