• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

wdll32.exe trojan

RichP

NAXJA Forum User
Anybody come across this one yet, customers employee looks like he has it. Win2k, boots, starts windows, login prompt, loads settings then momentarily a full window pops up titled 'wdll32' then vanishes leaving only the picuture of his kid as his normal background, can't do anything, no start bar, icons, no left or right mouse buttons, went to command line and deleted some suspicious files but no change. About ready to blast his HD with a linux boot disk just to make sure berfore I reinstall and he's not to happy about that. Found some references to it but I don't read italian. Suggestions ??? I don't deal with this stuff in the unix world

Look for wdll.exe and/or wdll32.exe anywhere on the drive and delete them if they exist. Also see the home page for any of the major antivirus software programs or http://www.miguelfra.com/services/documents/security.htm for lists of trojan horse files and processes to watch for...

I'm not a windoze heavy either, but I do have a bunch of win2k servers and I've seen this one before...

I neglected to mention, but you know already I am sure ... you do need to mount that drive on another system (linux, another windows box, it doesn't matter as long as you can see the content) so that it isn't being used as the boot device before you can clean it...

Yea, I booted off a norton cd and it's currently running a scan. Are there any magic trojan destroying floppies out there :D I also found the miguelfra site and did a search. I can get to task manager and I see 2 instances of apache running that the system won't let me kill and another one that pops up and is gone literally faster than an eye blink before I can read it

Cna you go into task manager and start up a command prompt, or just type in explorer.exe and it might load up the desktop...

Anyway, from the command prompt you may be able to get that killed by being a litlte cretive...

Problem solved, wiped drive and installed Mandrake linux. He's going to play with it for a few days and see how he likes it, if not I'll pave it over with win2kpro again. Only issue, SIS chipset, I never realized how organized Intel chipsets were till I started trying to figure out what was on that board and what I needed to reinstall windows, hence the linux, dropped right in. Just takes trying to work with some weird brand mb to make you appreciate asus, intel and supermicro :D

That is the solution that I would like to see to all Windoze problems! I mighta selected another distro but hey, that's splitting hairs. Well done.

SiS -- got some, hate 'em. I dislike all on-board crap, though. I'd much rather stuff a slot ;)

I have a new asus p4p8x with the 865P chipset and 3.0ghzP4 w/asus GF FX 5900 coming tomorrow or monday for my new machine. Gotta go shuffle some cases around and prepare to retire an asus P2p. Curious how 'up to date' the new release of mandrake is, be nice if it dropped right in.

Back