• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rock Krawler Long Arm Lift input and Pics

algeroth79

NAXJA Forum User
I'm Still debating on what lift I should go with and I ran into Rock Krawlers web site.

I Like the simplicity of their long arm setup and the write up. I was just wondering on what the gurus thought of this lift and any pics of it installed on a rig.
I want to go with a 6" long arm lift kit, revolver shakles, SYE and a Ford 8.8 in the rear (M.O.R.E. install kit).

Thanks

the general concensus around here is that RK sucks but thats mostly due to their reputation from the old kits where the LA's apparently broke alot, anyway i like the gen 2 LA setup and the price, im probably going with the LA kit by itself and i'll post it when i get it done in a month or so.

Ask Rock Readyxj as he looks to be an expert on the longarm system as well as rear coilover system.--------Kyle

Just get the Clayton hard arms and don't look back. Why wonder if the new rock krawler kits are safe after a bad track record with the 1st generation kits. I just wonder who keeps buying there junk after soo many bad write ups.

Just my .02

I've been running thier Gen II setup for a while an I like it. The only thing I would have different is sleeve the frame before I welded/bolted in the upper mount. There are quite a few of us running these here in AZ on some hard trails and they hold up alot better than the uni-body does. Heres some picks of mine.

http://community.webshots.com/user/xjcrawlr

Dont knock this kit untill you try it. :)

jpnjason- THX for the pics! Gotta love the "Live Free or Die, NH" on the tail of the first plane!

Question for anyone running the kit, what size lift will it work with? I like the look of it but wouldn't be able to afford the kit and the RE lift parts I want to use at the same time. Just wondering if I could get away with putting the LA's on with only a BB and adding the rest later.

after new management the gen II kits have had no complaints... its got great flex by utilizing one non radius upper.

You certainly can use the long-arm upgrade kit with ant lift you want, I used it with an RE 4in for quite a while, I only recently went to 6.5in lift.

BTW..those are 33in MTR's in the picks.

That's some good news, maybe this kit will be in my future now!

Also wondering after examining the pics, what exactly gets welded in the install? As in which mounts and how much welding. Not having a welder, I'd have to get it done at a shop or go to a friends.

All the frame mounts are located be bolts already there, like the t-case bolts, and they are bolted in first, then welded. This can be done while your stock stuff is still in! So its easy to have all the mounts installed while its still driveable.

Hopefully my last question on this.....

The lower arms are straight in all the pics I've seen. Are there any problems with tire clearance when turning? I've heard that some other LA kits have issues with larger tires rubbing the LCA's. Anyone running this kit have similar problems?

Yes the tires will rub, but think of it as this...if you have to turn that tight your gonna bust a u-joint anyways so its like cheap insurance.

How much turning radius do you lose? I like being able to take tight turns and it probably won't ever get more than 33's.

jpnjason,
I noticed in your pics that it looks like there is some sort of bolt-in flex joint installed in uca diff mount. Am I seeing this correctly? Does it come with the LA upgrade kit?
Thanks,
Chad

nhrocker said:
How much turning radius do you lose? I like being able to take tight turns and it probably won't ever get more than 33's.

Not much. I have a Gen-I set up and with 37's only rubbed the bolt head for the radius arm on the driver's side right about at full lock left.

I haven't seen the Gen-II kit but would imagine with the new radius arm location, you wouldn't hit anything.

jpnjason said:
I've been running thier Gen II setup for a while an I like it. The only thing I would have different is sleeve the frame before I welded/bolted in the upper mount. There are quite a few of us running these here in AZ on some hard trails and they hold up alot better than the uni-body does. Heres some picks of mine.

http://community.webshots.com/user/xjcrawlr

Dont knock this kit untill you try it. :)

It looks like a great kit.
Any issues on the hwy at speed say 60-80 mph?

Thanks for the pics.

Looking at the Rock Control LA kit, it definitely looks tough. It would take a lot to damage that. I personally think it hangs down too far for my taste. I'm only looking at stepping up to about a 5-5.5 inch lift and that hangs down enough that I wouldn't gain as much as I could if I went with something that allows me to use a high clearance crossmember.

Back