• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fuel Pump Isn't Working?

Mich88XJ

NAXJA Forum User
I have been having some trouble with my engine not starting lately, and I am pretty sure it is the fuel pump. I had the ignition set to on and I stabbed the electrical lines that run to the pump and then touched a ground with a test light, and it didn't show any power. Sometimes it will take a while to kick over, or I will have to turn the key off and on a few times. I don't think it is the fuel pressure holding valve or whatever it is called, because the thing is sitting dead in my yard right now, and I have cranked it over a million and one times. It has cut out twice when I have been driving too. I am thinking I might run a direct line to the pump from a 12 volt source through a switch. Is there a certain way that I should do this? If I do, what wires should I splice the power into? Thanks, Christian

Well, I realized from reading another post (not on this topic though) that I could switch the relays around to test. So I switched them and as soon as I turned the key I heard the pump kick on. So I started it up, and it ran fine. Switched it back to the old relay, started it and it died in half a second. Started it again and it ran. What do you think the problem is, the relay? Anyhow, I think I will run the line anyway as a backup, so if anyone can tell me how it would be great. Thanks Again, Christian

if it ran with a different relay, and wouldnt run when switched back, then obviously the relay is bad. i wouldnt waste time or money rewiring the fuel pump to a 12 volt source. it supposed to run on 9 volts, thats what the ballast resistor is for.

yeah... what they said! But really, what's the point... just make sure you use a bosch relay, i switched all my relays over to bosch(atleast the spdt) but anyways...like they said, it's a waste of your time and you might let the magic smoke out if you wire it to 12 volts.

Do you got a part number or somewhere I could get the relay from. I went to Car Quest and they didn't have one on file. Thanks, Christian

Back