• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ball joint press nightmares

Ecomike

NAXJA# 2091
NAXJA Member
HELP!!!!!!!

Calling all readers here. I need help!!!!

Got the old ball joints off the 89 2WD Cherokee. Don't ask how. Got the top ball joint installed. OK ask how, LOL.

I went to 5 local parts houses and rented 3 different brand ball joint press tool sets and accessories (cost $350 in deposits), made about 10 trips...and the closest thing they have to install the lower ball joint is too big by about 1/8" in diameter and so it turns itself side ways just enough to not work properly. Got the lower one installed about 70% but the ball joint edge is too buggered now to use the loose tube for the bottom to complete the install.

Does anyone have a solution for this? None of the professional kits I rented have the right inside diameter and length tube for the bottom of the bottom ball joint for the install press (Massive C Clamp).

Thanks!!!!

I bought the otc 7894 set also its meant for the xj axle so it fits perfect. I used the rental press with the otc set and had no issues. 86 bucks on amazon but is worth it. Or try to barrow one?

Thanks I was looking at that exact one an hour ago, but wanted confirmations that it works on the 2WD and 4WD XJ jeeps, since I have 5 of them from the late 1980s.

The Amazon add says

"Works with 1984-newer "downsized" Jeep Wagoneer, and 2WD and 4WD Cherokee and Comanche; 1987-newer Jeep Wrangler; 1990-newer Jeep Renegade; 1993-newer Jeep Grand Cherokee; 1994-newer Dodge Ram 1/2-ton 4WD pickup"

But after my ordeal was gun shy of buying anything with checking here first.

THANKS!!!

Summit has nice details on where it works !!!!

http://www.summitracing.com/search/...vice-adapter-kits?autoview=SKU&ibanner=SREPD5

I just use a couple appropriately sized 3/4" drive sockets. Worked for my last four BJ replacements.
Been looking at the OTC kit but the price has neer doubled now the Canuck buck has fallen again.
Already had the tools, have two BJ presses and various giant sockets, so cost was the driver for me.
Eventually the dollar will rise again and I'll jump on the right parts.

O'Reily's claims their #67048 is the same in their rental tools as the OTC 7894,, and I found a local store with it on hand. They call it a 4wd drive adapter set. Going to go check it out before I buy the one from Amazon....

O'Reily's claims their #67048 is the same in their rental tools as the OTC 7894,, and I found a local store with it on hand. They call it a 4wd drive adapter set. Going to go check it out before I buy the one from Amazon....

I used the O'Reily's one with absolutely no issues. I don't remember which one I had to press in first but it was pretty obvious and doing it in the right order made it cake.

Well I grabbed the O'reileys kit to try but it is not a perfect fit either, It has about 1/2 the slop the other one had that we tried to use. Try it in the morning. If it fails I am ordering the from Amazon that is know to work on the late 80s jeep ball joints.

I suspect the the newer jeeps have a different ball joint size???? Mine are 87-89 Renix rigs. Have no idea what the 85 2WD diesel one has. Have not needed to replace them yet. The 89 is first one to need them.

I've used the parts store ball joints before ant it work. I now own the Harbor Freight press along with the master adapter kit, with that I can do XJ ball joints although nothing fits exactly perfectly.

One trick is to get it all set up and run the press with an impact gun. While you're doing that with one hand use your other to smack the C with a hammer, that extra vibration will pop them loose a whole lot easier.

i.php

Last edited:
I've used the parts store ball joints before ant it work. I now own the Harbor Freight press along with the master adapter kit, with that I can do XJ ball joints although nothing fits exactly perfectly.

One trick is to get it all set up and run the press with an impact gun. While you're doing that with one hand use your other to smack the C with a hammer, that extra vibration will pop them loose a whole lot easier.

[]
I use the exact same tool and method..

Gets the job done

Yep, we figured out the hammer trick on the C-clamp trick, it does help on BJ removal. Also there is an offset tube about 1" tall that is must for lining the clamp up, especially for removal!!!!! It is about the height of the one in that picture. That picture of the bottom ball joint install is what we did. But the tall bottom tube has a little too large of an ID on 90% of the kits we rented. The one from O'Reily's, the 4wd acc kit, was tighter, but not perfect. Still need to do the passenger side if the other jeeps/rigs (Saturn and Ford) will stop falling apart long enough.

I've used the harbor freight set many times with no issues.
Did it have all the fittings, or did you still need to get extra 4WD tube set? I think I read here in other threads that the HF was not that good quality wise?

Did it have all the fittings, or did you still need to get extra 4WD tube set? I think I read here in other threads that the HF was not that good quality wise?

You need to get the ball joint press plus the master adapter kit. If you're only using it here and there the quality is acceptable (local rust issues non-withstanding). I've used mine probably four or five times over the years.

I bought the jeep/dodge adapter kit, from OTC,
and I use a AutoZone rental press

And it always pushes them right out. I also just put my milwaukee 1/2" impact on there, the biggest one they make, to get them off. To get them on, I use a breaker bar, and if they are being difficult, I put a 3 foot pipe.

Thanks for all the feed back here, the 4WD mini kit is what we needed and were missing. Got a rental one finally from a second O'Reily store that had it. While it was not a perfect tight fit it was tight enough to not slip. The tube in the 4WD has an ever so slightly smaller ID, about 1/16 to 1/32" smaller ID than the tube in the large kits. It made the difference. I just had hell finding a rental 4WD one in Houston of all places. About to use the rental kits for a second rig (daughter Saturn) now before returning them all.

And yes, the BFH and 3-4 foot cheater pipes help :)

One tool I have never had is a real impact wrench. :(
With my RA illness now one of them would kill me I am sure. But I can still use a 3-4 foot cheater pipe. My first major RA attack was after taking a bronchitis antibiotic, and 48 hours later feeling OK, I used a saws-all to cut some steel and the next day my upper arm felt like it had been cut in too and shredded at the shoulder. Never felt that much pain in my life. Seems the antibiotic use and heavy muscle use is a combined trigger for really bad RA attacks with me. 4 attacks in 5 years and I could see the pattern 100% of the time (Since I like to do physical work-repairs myself of all types taking an antibiotic is a 100% sure trigger for my RA flareups). I have a friend now (my new tool LMAO) that is helping me with the muscle / joint issues by doing the heavy lifting etc. :)

Most of the literature on RA (Rheumatoid Arthritis) talks about the joints, but it seems serious damage and pain for those of us who do very heavy physical work like vehicle work are at high risk for muscle pain and muscle issues that can be very serious. Thought I would pass this on....As Google searches and several doctors completed this connection in my case.

Not looking forward to doing the 4WD Ball joints on the remaining two Renix rigs when they need them.

Last edited:
Back