• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Clyde Frog Build Thread

I am not running an AT thermostat. Both coolers are fed at the bottom port. They marginally keep up while wheeling, runs about 180 in 4wd while climbing hills (which isn't bad considering how cheap both coolers were). Once I upgrade it should be perfect.

And earlier...

Current cooler setup. Cheap Hayden trans cooler (which is getting upgraded to a Tru-Cool cooler). A small p/s cooler, the a/c condenser and the 4.5" thick radiator. Down below is the secondary trans cooler (actually the lower trans cooler is full time while the upper one in front of the radiator comes in at 180 degrees via thermostat).

I are confuzled......

Are you, or aren't you?
Fair disclosure, I haven't had my coffee yet, so may well be just retarded via caffeine deficit. :)

And earlier...

I are confuzled......

Are you, or aren't you?
Fair disclosure, I haven't had my coffee yet, so may well be just retarded via caffeine deficit. :)
Oh...haha! I removed that thermostat. It sucked, my temps would raise really high then go down, then go up again so I took it out. Now they are both on full time.

Its nice to see someone is actually reading what i am typing.

Have you got pics of the dual compressor layout?

There are some on my engine build thread:
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1122847

I will get some better one posted tonight.

Last edited:
It was good chatting with you before the Renofest bronco canyon run. Save your money and get that rear air locker and some 33s.... Nice build you have, keep up the good work.

It was good chatting with you before the Renofest bronco canyon run. Save your money and get that rear air locker and some 33s.... Nice build you have, keep up the good work.
Thanks man. Def gonna lock the rear after that trip and seeing everyone's rig, also want to beef some stuff up and put those 33"s on.

Ok last cooling system update I swear. Next up: 2x6 rocker sliders and semi boat sides (only gonna run 33" tires so i want max protection and clearance).

Here goes. Trimmed the grill to fit the cooler. You can see the crappy cooler next to it on the table.

IMG_5665.jpg

Trimmed the grill to allow the new cooler to fit.
IMG_5667.jpg

Installed! You can see the first trans cooler and oil cooler air flow ports in the bumper.
IMG_5679.jpg

Thanks burnkat for the filter suggestion! This is where the thermostat was mounted, now its the tranny filter location.
IMG_5676.jpg

Also got the OBA routing pics....yes it goes into my backup light.
IMG_5674.jpg

Right!? I hope that you have installed a heater on the return line for those cool days... your trans fluid is gonna be damn near frigid :)

Right!? I hope that you have installed a heater on the return line for those cool days... your trans fluid is gonna be damn near frigid :)
I also made sure that my coolers where fed from the bottom, so thanks for that tip too. The filter is on the return (so after the coolers).

Great! I hope your cooling issues are a thing of the past.. though now I must admit I'm concerned about airflow to the engine radiator.. :)

I may have to retract my statement about "not being able to put too large a transmission cooler" in a vehicle.

sooooo.....

Just returned from a 3,183 mile trip. 5 states, 2 countries and 5 national parks. 98% of those miles where towing. While in Canada i went through some scales to weigh everything which was cool.

Jeep: 4,530 pounds (I was full fuel, and loaded down, about 630 of those pounds were passengers, water, fuel and luggage).

Trailer: 2,480 pounds total with 420 pounds of tongue weight. Full water tank. Its a 1958 vintage trailer.

Had zero issues with the Jeep or trailer. Pulled up this massive grade in Idaho, cant remember the name of it, but trans only got to 185 ish (lived in the 155 realm the whole trip) and engine coolant temp never went over 210, usually was around 197. SUPER happy with it.

Averaged 12.8mpg. Worst tank was doing 75-80 mph through Nevada in third, got 10.2 mpg. Best was in Washington doing 55-60 and got around 13.5 mpg. Keep in mind these are towing mpg. I really need to regear which will be soon with the bigger tires.

Jeep now has 319k miles with around 17k since the LS swap. This setup is SUPER reliable and works exactly how I want it to.

Pics are on their way...

Can't find anything at all wrong with that. I do question the tongue weight on the trailer- seems a bit heavy, "by the book".. but I don't have a lot of experience towing on long distances, so if it works I'd say it's good.

Great to hear!

Dude thats awesome

Didnt reaize you already did 17k miles with the Ls motor. It would take me 4-6 years to put that on my red jeep.

Didnt reaize you already did 17k miles with the Ls motor. It would take me 4-6 years to put that on my red jeep.
Ya I didn't realize I put that many miles on the swap either. I did the swap in 2015 at 302k. Its not my DD. I drive it once a week or so plus a lot of long camping trips. I have had my utility trailer hooked up to it for two weeks now (home remodel woes). I don't have a truck, the XJ with a trailer is my truck......Guess the miles just add up.

thats awesome. What size exhaust are you running? I just got most of my 3" exhaust pieces in the mail from summit and I feel like 3" is going to be a tough fit , but I will figure it out.

No one asked this question so I will.
You are a mathematician, how much more volume is there in a 2" pipe vs a 3" pipe?
If you go to a 3" pipe will there be enough back pressure for the engine?

Yeah backpressure is not an issue . Getting the exhaust gasses out of the cylinder as fast and complete as possible is whats important. Picture a megaphone as it gets bigger andnbigger .

thats awesome. What size exhaust are you running? I just got most of my 3" exhaust pieces in the mail from summit and I feel like 3" is going to be a tough fit , but I will figure it out.
2" out of the headers to a collector. Then 2.5" all the way back running through a Magnaflow. I wanted to do 3" and in retrospect i should have, but it seems pretty happy with the 2.5". I didn't do the exhaust work btw. I wanted a super tight fit that hugged the under body since I wasn't going to go crazy with the lift or tires.

3" is crazy big. Im curious to see how it will hold up to the rocka

So....Received a nice package from Trans America today (wholesale dist for 4wd parts). G2 gears! Got 4.56 for the 8.8 in the rear and 4.56 for the D30 up front along with the necessary install kits and also got a Detroit TruTrac for the rear (now I will be TruTrac front and rear). Also have a non-disco axle housing that I beefed up with some Synergy and RE products that will be going in when I re-gear.

Wondering if anyone has experience setting up the gears for an 8.8? Any tips? I have done a few D30 and other axles but never an 8.8 (it has a crush sleeve).

Pics to come soon. Obviously I will be putting the KM2 33"s on after the reagear. Kinda want to have fun with the 4.56 gears and 30"s tires with the LS. I promised Jeepinseal some burnout vids ;).

Also, going to be pulling the dash (again) and making it a carbon fiber dash and custom center console this winter. That project should be fun and look pretty sweet when done.

Back