• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What did you do to your XJ today

Changed out downstream O2 sensor, hopefully it will stop running rich and get much better fuel mileage. Did a little welding on the exhaust, removed the alternator and starter from the parts jeep and stowed them in Oh Susie II "just in case". I also found a bad U-joint in the rear driveshaft so I swapped in the spare driveshaft for now.

Finished making a box to mount the six switch panel. Cut my bezel, worse than cutting my fenders, and finished up the OBA wiring. Took me awhile since my energy level is still low. Still need the THOR cowl intake before I can drop in the compressor but it's ready to go.

Will be scheduling the rear re-gear and ARB install tomorrow.
H4FPxpU.jpg
H4FPxpU.jpg

H4FPxpU.jpg

TmWUgNP.jpg

Twin Compressor mount:

29SGUlr.jpg

H4FPxpU.jpg

Greenz thats a nice looking switch box. Where did you find it.

Nice cb btw.

Thank you.

I built the box from this... http://www.surplusgizmos.com/Plastic-Project-Box-wMounting-Flange-731-x-375-x-208_p_1402.html
These guys are close by and have an amazing inventory of nerdy cool stuff.

First cut it in half length wise. Cut in for the bezel into the side. Decided it was too wide so I narrowed it. It was a ton of tedious labor but I wanted the look and had plenty of time. I have the other half to make another. It's held down with Velcro.

It's not an original idea of my own. I was inspired by this guys work. "camping350" Post #159
https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f46/2001-xj-orange-county-143189/index11/

The radio would be okay if it worked like it's supposed to all the time. Galaxy-979F Bought it new with mods to enhance the performance, wink wink. When it works it's clear as day and gets out like a cannon. When it doesn't its a squealing pig, so Ive been told.

Decided to toss my broken seats( A couple trips in the dirt when I let my 300 pound friend drive) and I split the metal holding the stock seats together. Welded to get me by. Today I spend 100 at the junkyard and got me some leather seats out of a limited. Thing was prety clean except for a totaled front end. Hardly any scratches. Ran power and each has a body ground. Did the rear bench too
70035a7f8dc7a7e5edbff1b0050f1e09.jpg
b798d90008fef17aec09ad392b7af4c4.jpg
a4b47e93ca766b9adfc013b26760b363.jpg

Next to get done is solve the nasty DW that years of neglect does to a rig. Hardly broke 30 for months and today tried to run 75 and was quickly shook like a blender.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Installed the Cowl intake and the ARB twin compressor. Ill try to get a pic tomorrow. Ran out of time today. New cowl noises are not bad at all.

Re applied clear coat to the hood and started cutting down the orange peel. I don't care so much for body work but it's beginning to look a lot better. The original paint job lost its clear and the base coat is cracked badly. A friend encouraged me to take it down past the cracks and do it right but he is a former body grunt and knows that stuff, I don't. So, I will take what I learn from this minor project and do it right at a later time.

My body on the other hand is getting healthier.

cA7iAYu.jpg

8HqKuoX.jpg

Rlhzlsc.jpg

Some of the polish compound splattered into the engine bay.

Polished out the fresh clear coat on the hood. Not bad for 16 year old paint job. Definitely not a professional quality job but it looks much better than splotchy white and faded purple hues when its supposed to look blue. maybe ill be brave and strip it down to metal next year and attempt to do it right.

I might give them some money!

I waited a long time to get mine but they are back in stock now. So far I like mine.

I didn't tell my wife about it. She drove it to work and thought something was wrong. It hisses at idle and growls with a load. Anything in the middle is barely noticeable. She decide it was probably okay since I had drove it the night before and kept going. HaHa!

I put it in just to make room not for any performance gains.

Scheduled to have the rear regeared in a couple of weeks. I should just do it myself it I like the idea of customer service if a problem comes up.

I was looking into a cowl intake for the same reason. I have an Airaid intake I got off Craigslist for a great deal, but I want to mount a second battery so a cowl intake sounds like a good solution.

About the regear - If you have the time, I'd suggest doing it. I just researched and did my own last year and it went smooth. It's just tedious work.

I'm glad I saved the money for tools and other stuff.

If you do decide to do the job, I have set-up bearings for a D30 and a D44 you can borrow. Those saved me TONS of time!

cA7iAYu.jpg

8HqKuoX.jpg

Rlhzlsc.jpg

Some of the polish compound splattered into the engine bay.

Polished out the fresh clear coat on the hood. Not bad for 16 year old paint job. Definitely not a professional quality job but it looks much better than splotchy white and faded purple hues when its supposed to look blue. maybe ill be brave and strip it down to metal next year and attempt to do it right.

I'm interested in what you came up with in regard to the bracket for the ARB compressor. I have the same intake and had originally planned to mount my compressor in that location, but got lazy and mounted it in the back where the spare tire originally sat.

I'm interested in what you came up with in regard to the bracket for the ARB compressor. I have the same intake and had originally planned to mount my compressor in that location, but got lazy and mounted it in the back where the spare tire originally sat.

Scroll up to post 7362. There is another picture of it without the compressor attached.

I didn't measure anything, just cut and welded metal scraps in place using the three existing air box mounts and I found the fourth hole near the top of the inner fender. It's solid and didn't cost anything to build.

Thought about the spare tire location but opted out due to the fact I don't like sudden loud noises. lol

Got the XJ back from the diff shop today. So finally, now has 4:56 gears with fully functioning select-able lockers front and rear. Yeah!

Funny noise in the front was the gear set they first installed. Gears apparently went south to the point of needing to be completely replaced. Shop took care of that under warranty.

There's not much left to do this year besides installing the new speedo gear. I guess I can start collecting under armor, frame stiffeners, and sliders. A friend unloaded his junk pile that included more than enough 1" tubing and a sheet of aluminum diamond plate to make custom fender flares.

Back