• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Where can I buy a Coil Pack?

klennop

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 01 Limited and I think my problem is the coil pack. I can't seem to find them anywhere. Does anyone know some good places to buy one from. Also does anyone run the MSD ones?

Thanks!

If you look at advanceautoparts.com or partsamerica.com, select your vehicle and go to ignition/tune-up they have them, there it was like $140. I work at an advance auto parts here, I would think that would be a regular stock item. As for the MSD ones idk, I have a '97 and run the MSD coil its great, my plugs are gapped at 0.062 where as stock would be 0.035.

A weak spark can hurt power and smooth running, but once your spark is strong enough, extra spark energy really doesn't get you anything. So don't spend extra for aftermarket high performance ignition parts, unless you can't find the part anywhere else.

I know you see lots of aftermarket ignition parts, and if you've modded a motor drastically and run at much higher rpm, you might need them, but even most modded motors make just as much power with the stock ignition.

Have you've tried one of the online dealers that sell dealer parts?

http://www.allchryslerparts.com/

JTwthaXJ said:
As for the MSD ones idk, I have a '97 and run the MSD coil its great, my plugs are gapped at 0.062 where as stock would be 0.035.
We posted at the same time, but have you measured any power gain?

I've put aftermarket coils and played with bigger plug gaps on other vehicles, NOT an XJ, and it didn't get me anything.

If you have an 01, you can't get aftermarket stuff for your ignition setup...right? Didn't they start the distributorless ignition in 2000?

They have aftermarket distributorless ignition (DIS) parts, but for an XJ?, I don't know.

The engine computer has the ignition maps, even on the earlier distributor models, that set the spark advance. So aftermarket all you can do is get higher energy coils and play around with spark gap, install better quality cables. Which doesn't really do anything to increase power.

Before engine computers, even the first couple years of engine computers, the spark map or advance was done mechanically and/or with engine vacuum in the distrubitor. So an aftermarket distributor could give you a whole new more aggressive spark map (well advance since it was a simple curve). That would get you some extra power.

What kind of parts?

Like I said, I don't know if there are any out there for XJ's. But for lots of late model vehicles they do make aftermarket DIS Coils, Ignition Cables and even funky spark plugs. But IMHO, none of them are going to give you any power.

There are lots vehicles out there with aftermarket engine computers that do make more power. The way they do it is to have more aggressive ignition maps that give more spark advance and usually fuel maps that lean out the WOT open loop mode a little. That will get you more power, but most people don't consider the engine computer part of the ignition.

Thanks for all the help guys!

Is the one from autozone just as good as the OEM one? Also I was under the impression that you didn't replace the plug boots, only the coils on top. Does the one from autozone replace the whole thing?

JTwthaXJ said:
If you look at advanceautoparts.com or partsamerica.com, select your vehicle and go to ignition/tune-up they have them, there it was like $140. I work at an advance auto parts here, I would think that would be a regular stock item. As for the MSD ones idk, I have a '97 and run the MSD coil its great, my plugs are gapped at 0.062 where as stock would be 0.035.

Why did you change the gap on your plugs?

When doing the search yesterday,I didnt find any separate coils,only the complete unit!

Back