• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Looking to do 1.5" lift......Rancho leafs Moog ZJ V8 coils

jbmoose

NAXJA Forum User
Hey y'all. Just picked up yet another XJ, '99 Sport 4.0L NP242 no ABS (C 8.25). Looking to do very mild lift, basically an upcountry style. The leaf springs are done, starting to invert, and they gotta be replacedThis is going to be a primary daily driver, and as such i am not interested in SYE, TC lowering kits, or changing out LCA's. I am not one for junkyard wear items, and since new Mopar Upcountry coils and leaf packs seem to be prohibitively expensive, i planned on using Rancho RS44148 leafs http://www.quadratec.com/products/16033_018.htm and Moog CC782 ZJ V8 coils http://www.fme-cat.com/overlays/part-detail.aspx?brand=MC&PartNumber=CC782&pt=Coil%20Spring%20Set&lu=1998%20JEEP%20GRAND%20CHEROKEE&vin=#.UoGrLvmUS2E, with maybe a 3/4" coil spacer if needed. My goal is to get 30 X 9.50's under it, and stay within my restrictions listed above. What say you guys?? Anyone know what degree shim for the leaf packs (2 degree?)?? Anyone got a line on OE Upcountry leaf packs and/or coils? It would seem that Upcountry coils are basically V8 ZJ coils, yes? Will the Moog V8 ZJ coils work in a '99, the website lists it '84-'96, aren't XJ coils all the same? I also have a '00 XJ with a 5" Clayton setup, so i'm no stranger to doing these, but wasnt sure if anyone here has maybe tried this setup, or used Rancho before? Thanks for replies, JB

Last edited:
Coils are all the same. The CC782 coil is available on amazon for 66 bucks / pair. You will fit 30s no problem on stock wheels with the CC782 + 5/8" spacer. Mine did, anyway. 31s would probably rub the lower control arm, though. Mine did.
I never used the Rancho leaves but I'd think they're fine. They actually look really well built for the money, though I'd prefer rubber bushings.

I'm not sure if they come with poly bushings or not. I cant find it listed in descriptions, and some product pics show red poly bushings and others show no bushing at all. I'm with ya on the rubber bushings. Not a fan of poly. Have to see if clevite available for 'em

I am a cheap ass but i would never pay that much for that low of a lift, I know I could go to the junk yard and have everything I need other than shocks for less than 50-60 bucks...

I know you know what your doing, & no I haven't had luck with shims on a stocker. I just did another xj with about that much lift and just used some nuts to drop the t-case about half of a inch to kill the vibes on a 2" lift, so it wasnt a full inch drop...

I know i could run 30's on stock height with 4 hockey pucks or so....but thats not as much fun. My opinion is to just to grab the zj coils and add a full xj or s10 main leaf to your existing pack it will work and get you to where you are trying to be.....

Not to revive a really old thread, but I just got an XJ and am looking to so a similar lift. I've seen quite a few threads on the Crown HD "upcountry" springs but not many on the Ranchos above. Did you end up going with the Ranchos and the ZJ Moog coils? If so, how has it turned out / held up?

Thanks

I have moog coils and rancho leafs.
I'm running a 5/8" spacer on the coils. Yj length shocks on the front . Adjustable trac bar, ruffstuff lowers and BDS upper arms. Also longer brake lines all around. I did do a SYE.
Stock rear length shocks but relocation brackets on the axle and BPE on the upper end.
I have IRO shackles. It sits slightly higher in the rear. Nice and level with weight.
I don't like the poly bushings. It's your only option with the rancho leafs. It's been a year on the leafs and no problems tho. The ride is nice if you don't mind the squeaking.

Btw. I'm at about 2" with 31" tires. They rub the lowers but oh well.

Back