• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

power seat doesnt go back or forward

besthaticouldo

NAXJA Forum User
i just bought a jeep last night. its a 95xj country with 127k.

the power driver seat goes up down and all around, but wont go forward or backwards. if anyone has any ideas as to why thatd be great. i dont know whats wrong with it, it sounds like the track is stuck or something. thanks!

I think that there are three little motors on the seat base. We have a set of '95 ZJ seats in the garage right now, and I think they are the same as far as the base. On these, the front motor, I believe, is the back and forth. Before you panic, though, look real good and see if someone hasn't dropped something under the seat and has gotten wedged. I'm pretty anal about mine, and just this week I found my vacuum cleaner brush under my seat. It's been gone for a while! Ya might find money under there, too. Back in the day, I was sniffin' around for interior parts for my '65 Impala SS convertible. I was in a '67 Bonneville, and found enough coins and bills to buy the whole interior! It's worth a look.

Find the motor that controls the forward and backward function.

Test its leads with a DMM and check to make sure your atlease getting voltage to the motor and make sure its grounded. Also check to make sure the forward/backward functions on the switch arent the problem. You could possibly rig a "bypass switch" to check that one.

If niether of those fix it, replace the motor. You can probably pull one @ the junk yard for next to nothing.

Back