• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Jeep starts with Jump, But doesn't restart

jk333

NAXJA Forum User
Yesterday I was driving my 91 Laredo, 4.0/AW4/231 and I parked in a parking lot. shut it off, to lock the glove box. I go to restart it and nothing. theres no lights, no power, nothing. the starter doesnt even engage. I look under the hood and the ground that goes fro mthe negative batter yterminal and bolts to the inside of the fender is disconnected from the terminal. I spliced it back to the terminal thinking it would fix my problem, but no. So, I got a jump from my Brother and the Jeep fired right up upon being jumped. I looked at the alternator gauge and it stayed right around 13.5-14 (where it normally is) I tried lettign the rig run for about 5 minutes and shutting it off. The same thing, it wouldnt restart. we jumped it again and it fired back up. Then we drove it home and the whole way, the al;ternator gauge never dipped down below 13.5. Its at home sittign now. IT sounds alot like the symptoms of a bad battery but, im almost positive its not. The Jeep fired right up with no problems yesterday morning after sitting all night. And I drove about 9 miles when I first shut it off. I really need to figure this thing out. This is the only 4X4 that was running between me and my brother and my area has been hitt with really cold temps and the roads are pretty icey.

Clean battery cables/post and if that doesn't help, LOAD TEST your battery or swap in another known good one temporarily as already suggested. Batteries can die a quick death; it happens.

Yea, replace your connectors and cables first... they probobly need it anyway. Clean off the posts really good with a wire brush. Hook it all back up and see if it works. While you're at the store pick up a cell tester for $1. Looks like an eyedropper with BBs in it. Test the cells. If you still have problems and still don't know why, go to autozone and have them test the battery for you. It's free. Then you'll have new cables to go with your new battery. No loss. They're cheap!

Edit: also, you might want to replace the bolts on the battery terminals with stainless while you're at it. I always do, and have yet to have a problem with corrosion on a terminal afterward.

You say the voltmeter in the car says 13.5 +, but that's probably running so it only is checking the alternator output. Turn the car off, then put the key in the run position, with all accessories off. If you have less than 12 volts, your battery is not charged enough or not holding a charge. It takes more than 5 or 10 minutes of running to fully charge a battery. Do you have a battery charger to put on it overnight?

I got it resolved. It was the battery. it was under warranty too! :party: thanks for the help.

Back