• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

186,000 miles too high on XJ to purchase?

Rob Abel

NAXJA Forum User
1996 XJ Sport.

Price is good.

Seller has maintenance records. Everything works, no leaks, no dents, minor scratches on paint.

How many miles will engine, trannie take without major rebuild?

Thanks for any info.

I made it to 210,000 on bigger tires and lift.

312,000 miles and still running strong!

I about poop my pants when i look at the odomater and it said 300,000
But, it's hard to say no to FREE 99. Now i'm trying to see if it will hit 400,000............You just never know!:D

Flash.

A good thing to check for in this is Skid plates and damages there on. Lots of scarring is evidence of off road use and possible abuse. If all is clean, Hell, even if there is some scars, GO FOR IT. I bought both mine when there were 212000 and and 213000 on 'em. They'll go for a long long time.

186K, thats young for a cherokee son...
is it the chryco 8.25 or d35?
what t case?
DD or strictly off road?
burn any oil starting ? on hills?
does it pass smog?
what about wheel bearings? u joints? they will go out around there too...
stuff like that...
if youre gonna build it up who cares as long as the price is right?

esp if the PO took good care of it...
if the price is right go for it
both my 89's have started with 180K+ still going strong. ive always had to replace the radiator, water pump, hoses, thermostat, etc. around 180K as well, but i take that as a given after i buy an old xj. talk him down and use the money saved towards a lift :eeks1:

mine is at 151K, runs like it is brand new, if a cherokee is less than 200K its hardly broken in. a friend of mine bought a 91 with 215k and it runs even better than mine! a 4.0HO will run forever (literally) if you take care of it.

I bought my 88XJ with 156,000 miles on it. After 386,000 miles I rebuilt the I6 engine and automatic transmission. I was getting 22 mpg right up to the time of the rebuild. My Jeep dealer told me there were other XJs in my area with over 400,000 miles. The I6 and auto transmission are outstanding!

Best regards,

CJR

I believe that at 186,000 miles you can count on getting another 40,000 before significant blowby starts. Then you may be able to get another 60,000 before you will need a rebuild. All above figures require proper maintenance, oil changes, etc....

I bought my 2000 XJ with 250,000 miles on it, I have put over 10,000 on it and it still runs as good as any Jeep I have ever owned. I curently have a 97 XJ with 115,000 on it, my 2000 XJ with 260,000 has more power, gets better mileage, and dosn't have any problems. Only non maint. part that has ever been replaced is the AC compressor. The rear main seal drips but it is not bad at all, run it till it dies then stroke it!

the truck has 270K miles on it, not the original trans though, but it came from the factory with a BA10/5, so that's understandable.

The wife's new rig has 321K miles on it, from what I can tell it's the original motor and trans, it still runs like a top, and I cna't even feel the trans shift.
Both are 87's.
the 4.0 aw4 drivetrain is pretty bulletproof, I wouldn't be scared of 186K miles as long as it looks like it was reasonably taken care of.

mines got 205k and i just replaced the intial radiator. they run GREAT!

mine was at 157k but then i did the odometer swap and took it back a few thousand miles hahaha

how do you all drive yours on the road? i used to speedrace everywhere, but i started settling down...

I just bought a 96 with 138k. It runs like a trooper.

If it feels like it runs well, the fluids look okay, etc., why hesitate? Especially if the guy has maintenance records and such.

There's a thread around here something like "how many miles on your XJ" and the numbers are huge.

In short, if the price is fair, BUY.

Back