• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Frame Stiffeners (Large Voids/Gaps)

themauler

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA

I have just finished welding up some HD Offroad mid frame stiffeners. I am about 5 years late from installing these and my frame rails were very dented. If you have welded on stiffeners you can imagine how crappy the fit up was.

I was able to fill in all the small holes on the vertical section of the rail but I couldn't manage to get every single bottom hole to fit close enough to weld and close up the hole. For others that have ran into this problem did you fill the hole with filler or just start painting it and leave it open?

I assume water is going to get in the rails by other means so is there even a point in filling in the holes I couldn't weld on the bottom?

TIA

Nick

:us:

... let water in and drain as best as possible...

You definitely want the water to be able to drain out. When I did mine I made sure not to cover any of the factory drain holes. The other day after washing out my engine compartment I pulled the XJ back a little bit in the drive. When I got out there was a significant amount of water that ran out the frame holes.

You definitely want the water to be able to drain out. When I did mine I made sure not to cover any of the factory drain holes. The other day after washing out my engine compartment I pulled the XJ back a little bit in the drive. When I got out there was a significant amount of water that ran out the frame holes.

This.

I also think it's a good idea to hit the inside of the frame rails with an inner frame coating. Eastwood's works great. http://www.eastwood.com/eastwood-internal-frame-coating-14oz-aerosol.html

When you weld the stiffeners to the chassis, your creating a spot on the inner frame rail that will be prone to rusting. Coating the inside will prevent this.

2 cans was more than enough for me to do the entire chassis.

Back