• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Added LED reverse lights to the XJ-Impressed.

Yzzerdd

NAXJA Forum User
I didn't take any before pictures, as I was too excited to get these in; nevermind the fact that everybody here probably knows what the stockers look like. LED's on a vehicle CAN be a touchy subject, but I wanted to improve the visibility behind me without having spotlights or what-have-you hanging off the rear bumper. I did see a picture wherein someone flush-mounted two thin, rectangular LED assemblies in the lip-That would've been my next step, if this hadn't worked out so well.

These are DuraFlux 2500 Lumen light bulbs, 160W equivalent power. I'm not sure how much amperage they draw, but plan to check in the future. The difference is dramatic-Here's a shot of the vehicle with them on, the view as I back into a space, and with them off.

I'll post some more "professional" pictures soon, with measurements and such under more defined conditions. I'll also entertain requests, should anybody be looking for something more specific.

Jack

Here's a stock photo of the bulbs for reference- They arrived as shown, nice neat solder joints and professionally constructed. Not cheap Asian Pacific Rim garbage. I'm not intending to advertise for this company at all, but these bulbs are what convinced a skeptic and known tight-wad to spend $10.

J

Did you have to do any ballast / capacitor, or were they simple plug and play? I wouldn't mind some additional back up lighting for night wheeling.

Did you have to do any ballast / capacitor, or were they simple plug and play?

They're plug and play, absolutely no modification necessary. Generally, you'll only need a resistor/etc if replacing turn signal bulbs or brake/turn(or hazard) combo bulbs.

J

Here's another shot:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am guessing, from the shape of the bases of those bulbs, that yours is a late model ('97+).

And those years at least have a big enough lens to get some light through it.

Not trying to hate but I am not a fan of all the recent hyper bright led lights. It sucks being on the receiving end of them. I known they are just back up lights but I had someone pulling out of a parking spot and the lights were pretty much eye level, I was seeing spots afterwards.

I am guessing, from the shape of the bases of those bulbs, that yours is a late model ('97+).

You'd be right, 2000.

Iwannadie- I appreciate the input greatly. I was concerned as to the brightness of hr bulbs, I certainly wouldn't put in LED headlights- They are quite bright. Typically I'm just backing up into my garage at night, but when I'm out and about, I'll keep that consideration in mind.

J

You'd be right, 2000.

Iwannadie- I appreciate the input greatly. I was concerned as to the brightness of hr bulbs, I certainly wouldn't put in LED headlights- They are quite bright. Typically I'm just backing up into my garage at night, but when I'm out and about, I'll keep that consideration in mind.

J

Brightness isnt the issue for headlights. It is having a proper cut off, or beam. Nice led headlights will not blind oncoming traffic. There is nothing wrong with led headlights, and they are some of the best money spent on these old jeeps imo.

Brightness isnt the issue for headlights. It is having a proper cut off, or beam. Nice led headlights will not blind oncoming traffic. There is nothing wrong with led headlights, and they are some of the best money spent on these old jeeps imo.

Correct. It is the people sticking improper light sources in housing that are not designed for them. The people with HIDs in stock halogen housings that blind everyone and aren't even throwing useful light down the road for themselves but wow they sure "look" bright and "cool". /rant

The issue I've run into is finding quality bulbs that will give the proper beam pattern. I've read many threads here about it, probably would go with the trucklites. Right now I have the brightest standard bulbs that Napa had available, Wagner brand. They're OK, but the Sylvania UltraStars in my wife's car are much brighter.

J

Edit: Note, I have not yet upgraded my OEM headlight wiring harness. I'm sure to get through the winter on the bulbs I have now AS LONG as I do the wiring this fall. I don't want to put $360 of headlights on the front of the Jeep, only to have them knocked out in an icy parking lot.

Last edited:
The issue I've run into is finding quality bulbs that will give the proper beam pattern. I've read many threads here about it, probably would go with the trucklites. Right now I have the brightest standard bulbs that Napa had available, Wagner brand. They're OK, but the Sylvania UltraStars in my wife's car are much brighter.

J

Edit: Note, I have not yet upgraded my OEM headlight wiring harness. I'm sure to get through the winter on the bulbs I have now AS LONG as I do the wiring this fall. I don't want to put $360 of headlights on the front of the Jeep, only to have them knocked out in an icy parking lot.

When you get your harness, don't skimp and get that crappy putco harness. Spend money once and do it right the first time and get the ARB or another higher end harness.

The market is flooded with models from China of not the highest quality, so you should be careful when choosing headlights or lamps for headlights. I've tried models from many manufacturers, but I admit I didn't like them. My brother advises me to buy headlight bulbs like his, but I'm not ready to invest in lighting again.

The market is flooded with models from China of not the highest quality, so you should be careful when choosing headlights or lamps for headlights. I've tried models from many manufacturers, but I admit I didn't like them. My brother advises me to buy headlight bulbs like his, but I'm not ready to invest in lighting again.

I've tried models from many manufacturers, but I admit I didn't like them. My brother advises me to buy headlight bulbs like his, but I'm not ready to invest in lighting again. A few weeks ago, I bought LED strips and flashlights from Vont. It took only a day to install the tapes, but now it is much more comfortable in the car. If you are now looking for light bulbs in the salon, I can advise a store with a good assortment.

Back