• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Turn Signal, Hazards, and Brake Lights

zaroot

NAXJA Forum User
96 Xj Hasta
The following functions normally: head lights, highbeams, wipers, running lights.

The following does not function: turn signals, hazards, brake lights.

I have checked/performed the following:
1) Battery and driver side dash ground
2) Large and Mini fuses under hood in PDC panel
3) Fuses in cab, above clutch pedal
4) Checked ground and 4 connectors behind plastic driver rear quarter-panel
5) Replaced the brake light switch with known working one
6) Checked the red & blue relays under driver dash
7) Bit the bullet and replaced the multi-function wiper/hazard/turn switch
8) Removed the interior fuse panel to check for corrosion/broken wires

Upon removing the black plastic cover panel on the driver dash relay block; using a jumper wire, and the relays removed, I can get the turn signals and flashers to light up. To me, this means it is not a bulb, wiring, grounding issue at the lights themselves.

Questions I have:
1) Is there another ground somewhere I am missing? It's almost like I am not getting power to the multi-function switch on the steering column, but only for the lighting-related wires; as the wipers & washer pump work fine.
2) I see the two slots in my interior fuse panel where the typical old round silver flashers would go, for turn & hazard. There are no terminals in the fuse panel to accommodate these. What controls the audible "click click" when the turn signals are on? Does the power just click on & off at the relay?
3) Interior, fuse 8 (20A), there is only one terminal in the fuse panel. There are also a few others like that. Is there a common terminals or lead that connects a few hots with 12 volts, and then the ground is ran through the 1 terminal on the blade fuse? In my opinion, not sure how an inline fuse can function properly unless the current is pulling through the fuse filament; i.e. the fuse panel having 2 terminals for each blade of the fuse to push into.
4) Will be sourcing some one-line diagrams and testing this week, but wanted to get those questions cleared up first.

Thanks!

Did some more checks:

Nothing selected, at rest
YL/RD to BK: 12v
PK/BK to BK: 7.8v
VL/TN to BK: 7.8v
GY to BK: 8.2v

With either signal selected
PK/BK to BK: 5.75v
GY to BK: 0v
VL/TN to BK: 5.75v

With hazards on
PK/BK to BK: 3.5v
GY to BK: 4v
VL/TN to BK: 0v

See any common denominators? The two readings I am getting 0v on, shouldn't those have voltage? Also, is it odd that I am getting weird 3, 4, 5, and 7 volts?

just replace the multi-function switch.A common problem area.

Multi-Function Switch; mentioned in; 7) was replaced.

However I had replaced my column mounted ignition switch, (After-Market), made in commie china).., and it no worky. Perhaps your 'new' replacement M-F Switch no worky. Did you find an OEM part?

When you pulled your relays, and jumped over them, you report you got a good 'jump' result, it seems to me. Even though you checked the relays perhaps they are slightly kaput?

That's all I've got.

Multi-Function Switch; mentioned in; 7) was replaced.

However I had replaced my column mounted ignition switch, (After-Market), made in commie china).., and it no worky. Perhaps your 'new' replacement M-F Switch no worky. Did you find an OEM part?

When you pulled your relays, and jumped over them, you report you got a good 'jump' result, it seems to me. Even though you checked the relays perhaps they are slightly kaput?

That's all I've got.

My Bad,missed that.
My 96 had similar problem,,,,,found a corroded wire end in the junction box at the firewall.
Check for power at the flasher relay and back track to firewall.

Multi Function Switch is BWD - China. Can anyone confirm is brake light feed or signal is ran through this? The diagrams I am looking at don't really show it. The fact that I have the exact same results after swapping relays, fuses, and MFS all point to a broken wire or ground.

What's got me stumped is the bogus voltage readings, seems all over the place. I know nothing is burned or grounding out, because I am not blowing any fuses. When jumping the 12v hot (Yellow/Red) on flasher relay to Gray (signals) or violet/tan (flashers), I can get them to light up on dash and at the actual lamps (confirmed all 4 lights on front end, and 2 on rear end do illuminate). I've given up and stopped searching since my last post. Going to give it one more go this weekend before I cut harness and run a new lead wire.

In an XJ, the turn signals should not run through the multi-function switch. I say this not looking at a wiring diagram but because it has separate amber turn signals. Traditionally, in an American car with no separate rear turn signals, the brake lights DO go through the turn signal switch so that the brake light feed can be disconnected from the left or right bright filament as appropriate when the turn signals are used. I can't imagine that it would be run that way; there'd be no reason to do it unless MoPar wanted to make it easy for us to use a trailer with only two lights, but the fact that they require you use a "magic box" to get a 4 pin trailer light connection tells me they didn't. (I have one that is "plug and play" and in fact I need to steal it off my '99 before I get rid of it.)

On the old 91-up XJ the brake lights and hazards (not sure about turn) has a line going directly to the battery before the junction box under the hood. These could corrode leaving the brake likes out.
Not sure about the 96 since it's a transition year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back