NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA's Technical Forums > Modified Tech Discussion
Register FAQ Users List Calendar Mark Forums Read
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Donate Bylaws Store Members Chat E-Mail

Modified Tech Discussion Forum for Tech related discussion for Modified XJ's and MJ's.

Old September 25th, 2005, 16:04
NAXJA Forum User

Re: Junkyard upgrades

One of the first things I did when I bought my XJ was to hit the boneyard for some of the factory skid plates that my 91 Sport didn't come with:
t-case, gas tank, etc.
Old September 25th, 2005, 19:45
NAXJA Forum User

To expound just a little on the ZJ rear disc conversion, they will fit an 8.25" axle as well after simply clearancing the caliper brackets for the larger diameter axle tubes. Just did it!
Old September 25th, 2005, 21:33
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badcop
92+ HO 4.0's - almost everything is straight accross swapable with the non HO engine. If your not a wiring geneous as I am not, use everything that doesnt need the computer, head, intake, exhaust, etc. Use your renix TB, injectors, etc. I did this just recently and noticed a considerable change in power. The HO head is ported much better along with the intake and exhaust.
got any websites on doing some of this work? how would that work for the TB, since it's a completly differant bolt pattern?
Old September 25th, 2005, 21:55
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfreeman616
got any websites on doing some of this work? how would that work for the TB, since it's a completly differant bolt pattern?
Either with a TB adaptor/spacer or making a small "key" of metal that connects the HO TB to RENIX TPS (then try to bolt Renix TPS on).

I don't remember where but I have seen some discussion about the subject here at ...

Arctic XJ, do you know how much meat exactly you took off, it would help to know how much to remove in advance so I could do it or get it bored. I need to know the 8.25 axle tube diameter, so I know what diameter the brackets need to be and then I can go install them at my leisure rather than trial and error.

Thanks.
Old September 26th, 2005, 03:22
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfreeman616

Not too much needs to be done to get it on, a little boring with a die grinder to the TB its self and It bolts on.
Old September 26th, 2005, 08:01
<---respect

Quote:
Originally Posted by red_01_xj
I know different setup have different gear ratio (not sure what tho)
4.10's "generally" behind 2.5/2.8L with stick, BUT you might stumble across a 2.5 with an AW4 (a real rarity). They came with 4.56's....like this one. This was my $89 junkyard upgrade this past Saturday
Jeff

Old September 26th, 2005, 08:23
NAXJA Forum User

BajaCal, I apologize, but I dont have the dimensions documented anywhere. I simply tweaked down a set of dial calipers over the tube, slid them off, and marked the bracket accordingly with a sharpie. I know the measurement was different than that of the immediate tube diamter, as it had necked down just slightly towards the spindle.
Old September 26th, 2005, 08:49
NAXJA Forum User

[QUOTE=bajacalal]Arctic XJ, do you know how much meat exactly you took off, it would help to know how much to remove in advance so I could do it or get it bored. I need to know the 8.25 axle tube diameter, so I know what diameter the brackets need to be and then I can go install them at my leisure rather than trial and error. [QUOTE]
I think I took off about 1mm - taking your time with a grinding stone and a dremel's all you need to do. Since the internal diameter is not a critical measurement it's not too important to get it 100% perfect - the bolts hold the bracket in place, rather than the mating surface between bracket and tube. You'll definitely get a near perfect circle if you keep on going round and round with your grinder smoothly and regularly rechecking the fit. Patience is a virtue!

Last edited by Chancer; September 26th, 2005 at 08:54.
Old September 26th, 2005, 10:38
NAXJA Forum User

You go Jeff. That is deffently (sp?) a major find that I have seen in my interchange books, but not in person. Did you get the rear axle with it?
Old September 26th, 2005, 10:52
<---respect

No, I left the rear....D35 with lsd. I'm holding out for an MJ D44 to eventually show up (been looking for one now going on 3 years LOL). The subject vehicle was an 87 XJ Country....first one I ever saw (2.5/AW4 that is). The rear is still down there, if anyone's interested I can give info on where the 'yard is (just south of Richmond, VA). Bring $79, another $1 to get in, and yer toolbox
Jeff
Old September 26th, 2005, 11:09
NAXJA Forum User

Heh, go get it your self, and SELL that puppy, L/S and all.
Old September 28th, 2005, 20:29
NAXJA Forum User

for the rear brake flex line a yj line bolts right in and it is alot longer than a stock xj . i am not sure about the yj front flex lines . if anyone knows if you can use the front ones and if they are longer that would be great .
Old September 29th, 2005, 04:09
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by waggy
for the rear brake flex line a yj line bolts right in and it is alot longer than a stock xj . i am not sure about the yj front flex lines . if anyone knows if you can use the front ones and if they are longer that would be great .
Yup, the same thing the guy in the original post said...
Old October 1st, 2005, 17:05
NAXJA Member # 1381

I too need to replace my bagged out leafs.......
Have a thought though.........
Couldn't we just use chev 1/2 ton leafs (2 1/2 inch wide, same as jeep), stacking 2 of them under main leaf as they are high arc?
Old October 1st, 2005, 19:37
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff in VA
No, I left the rear....D35 with lsd. I'm holding out for an MJ D44 to eventually show up (been looking for one now going on 3 years LOL). The subject vehicle was an 87 XJ Country....first one I ever saw (2.5/AW4 that is). The rear is still down there, if anyone's interested I can give info on where the 'yard is (just south of Richmond, VA). Bring $79, another $1 to get in, and yer toolbox
Jeff

Hmmmm... That might just dissapear Monday!! *LOL*