NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA's Technical Forums > Modified Tech Discussion
Register FAQ Users List Calendar Mark Forums Read
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Donate Bylaws Store Members Chat E-Mail

Modified Tech Discussion Forum for Tech related discussion for Modified XJ's and MJ's.

Old September 23rd, 2005, 12:47
NAXJA Forum User

Re: Junkyard upgrades

I know different setup have different gear ratio (not sure what tho)
Old September 23rd, 2005, 12:59
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by red_01_xj
I know different setup have different gear ratio (not sure what tho)
I got my 4.10 axles from a 4 cylinder rig...most of them have 4.10 gearing.
Old September 23rd, 2005, 13:04
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badcop
By the time your done buying the steal, buying the arms from the junkyard and spending most of an afternoon grinding, it might be cheaper to pick up a used set of actual XJ arms.
Thats some sound advice. If I didn't already go through the trouble of finding some and cutting down the bushings, didn't have a pile of scrap metal laying around, and had more money than time I would definitely
follow it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by John90XJ
I got my 4.10 axles from a 4 cylinder rig...most of them have 4.10 gearing.
I got my 4.10 axles from a '87 2.8 XJ so check those too.

Last edited by semisynth; September 23rd, 2005 at 13:35.
Old September 23rd, 2005, 20:08
NAXJA Forum User

Here's a bit of steering box info. I replaced my stock unit with a new/rebuilt one from Auto Zone and have had to replace it (lifetime warranty) four times. I did some research and found out that pretty much all of the auto parts stores supply the exact same box for our cherokee as they do for S-10 pickups, camaros, and an endless list of other vehicles that were never intended for off road use, let alone abuse. The hot ticket is to get a box from a late 80's - early 90's Camaro/Firebird with the "sport suspension package". It will have a "Z" cast into the side. This is the box the Jeepspeed guys run. It's stronger and has a better ratio too. But you'll have to find it in a junkyard or on ebay cause if you ask for it at the parts store you'll get the same one you'd get if you asked for one for your cherokee!
Old September 23rd, 2005, 20:15
NAXJA Forum User

I guess that the WS-6 Package trans-am sitting the junkyard at work is going to lose its' steering box tomorrow. COOL, just one less part to have to figure out for my prerunner MJ.(maybe)
Old September 23rd, 2005, 20:23
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ren
I guess that the WS-6 Package trans-am sitting the junkyard at work is going to lose its' steering box tomorrow. COOL, just one less part to have to figure out for my prerunner MJ.(maybe)
Man am I jealous, having all those handy parts right there! Whenever I go, I'm lucky if I can find an antenna!
Old September 23rd, 2005, 20:26
NAXJA Forum User

Don't forget the rear shackles off of a full size GM truck-worth anywhere from 1-1 1/2" of lift.(do not go higher than that because they can bend.) Spring plates that the U-bolts go through off of a lot of trucks will let you do a cheap and effective U-bolt flip- Dodge trucks from the '80s'are good for these plates, since the plates wrap around the top of the axle housing to start with. This is one of the tricks that my MJ prerunner already has in place, and works great- no more U-bolts getting hung or bent.
Old September 23rd, 2005, 23:58
NAXJA Member

Talking Re: Junkyard upgrades

Quote:
Originally Posted by ren
Don't forget the rear shackles off of a full size GM truck-worth anywhere from 1-1 1/2" of lift.(do not go higher than that because they can bend.) Spring plates that the U-bolts go through off of a lot of trucks will let you do a cheap and effective U-bolt flip- Dodge trucks from the '80s'are good for these plates, since the plates wrap around the top of the axle housing to start with. This is one of the tricks that my MJ prerunner already has in place, and works great- no more U-bolts getting hung or bent.
most of us are spring over from the factory - and the u-bolt flip will do nothing for an XJ - ours are already "flipped"

and the GM shackles are known to be weak for any amount of lift...
Nothing in Moderation . . .. . . . .... . . . . . . . . . . . . . . competitor #91 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . The Ride Racing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan C. View Post
As if the program is running with some high level of integrity and only the best of the best win.
Old September 24th, 2005, 06:16
NAXJA Forum User

yeah, I guess it is nice sometimes to have a junkyard that you work in/ are a partner in. On the bad side, however, we have to be careful about how fluids are desposed of, especially when we are crushing cars, not to mention the flat tire hazards form broken glass, bolts, running over the edge of a hood and slicing the side wall for about 10" on a new tire, etc...
Old September 24th, 2005, 14:42
Gort like Jeep

Thumbs up Re: Junkyard upgrades

How about the guts from a Dodge truck 231? Wider chain and so on for an upgrade on your 231...
There have been posts here before regarding this mod, might be a cheap T case junkyard upgrade for those lookin to do some mods on the cheap

Last edited by Jeepsloth; September 24th, 2005 at 14:46.
Old September 24th, 2005, 19:49
NAXJA Forum User

Consoles for shifters (if anyone cares) are modular - If you need to downsize from full to shorty the shift indicator from an auto will fit into the hole left when you pull out the manual rubber boot - and vice versa. The sheet metal tabs sticking out of the tunnel have screws buried under all the dirt and will come out. However, carpet patching is necessary, if you bother.

Some police versions have rubber liners (like pickups) instead of carpet.

The old chrome custom oil breathers from small block chevies are PVC sized and pop right in to the valve cover - NO more oil on the air filter. Yes, the hood shuts. I am also looking for a mid 90's Pontiac oil separator/breather from the quad 4 (?) which even includes a finned cast aluminum body and oil return line to the nearest point. I looks like it was styled by the same guy who did the valve cover, and is my latest search item when out junking.

Mid 90's caravans have a nice tranny cooler the size of Hayden's smallest 400 series - but they are plate style, not fins, even better. Get them with the bracket and hoses.

Get an extra jamb switch to install 12" down from the hinges on the hatch - so you can actually get the back light on when it opens, instead of tweaking the hall effect sensor weekly . . .

A Comanche overflow tank mounts on the fender next to the stock air filter if you have (converted) to the open radiator. The 18" hose that comes with it is almost too long - beats the 3+ foot hose and gangly tall factory thingy behind the battery.

I am currently experimenting with a 96 Mustang 5.0 air cleaner to install over the blower motor and draw air through the cowl, like a flipped TJ intake.
Old September 24th, 2005, 20:11
NAXJA Forum User

well while we're on the subject of parts yards, are there any DIRECT BOLT on spring packs that will work with the xj's?
Old September 24th, 2005, 21:00
NAXJA Forum User

best thing to do is get some off of an S-10. If you can't use a circle saw, don't think you should be messing with your jeep.
Old September 25th, 2005, 00:08
NAXJA Member #1056

Is there a junkyard upgrade for a heater core in a 89 xj?
Old September 25th, 2005, 00:48
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by semisynth
Well I gave it some thought and have come up with this theory. I think the bushings are designed to have more torsional give on the WJ arms, but once the metal sleeves are cut down to fit into the XJs LCA pockets I think it would partially negate the design. I think the WJ has the wider pockets and the LCA bushings have the sleeves that stick out from the rubber so more leverage is applied to the bushings themselves when the arms twist. Make any sense?? I feel like wile coyote “back to the drawing board” doh!
A good point I hadn't thought of. Would have to look at it closely in person to see if that would make a difference or not? Think it is still a good conversion that what to reduce the vibration transmittance into the body as the rear oval shaped bush is that way to help the NVH. I dont need it for the turning radius as have the right wheel offset to clear the arms anyway but was going to do it for the above reason only. I dont disconnect as mine is a Outback touring machine where relying on the lockers is enough for me so wont have the same torsional stresses of being disconnected.